VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Late last summer I found a 2010 A3 with 42,000 miles on it and couldn't pass it up. I had been searching for an Ibis White Quattro for about 9 months with no luck. Then this car showed up at a dealer and I like I said I couldn't pass it up. My original plans were to leave it stock except for a few minor mods like blacking out the grille and fogs. It would be my daily driver and most of the year it would be used to get my ass up to the mountains to snowboard. Once I started looking thru this forum and a few others I saw some of the builds other members were doing and immediately I was hooked. Some of you guys have some beautiful cars! Here are a few photos of the car the day I picked it up.

First thing I did was black out the grille and fog rings.

A few weeks later I blacked out my stock wheels and debadged the rear end. At the end of this winter I plan on getting new wheels no making these my winter wheels with a set of snow tires.

Stock height is killing me! I wish I could afford some coils. For now I will have to settle for springs. Another item on my ever growing list for the summer.
Over the winter I was able to do some lighting as well. First I installed Ziza Bright white fogs.

Also installed An LED interior kit.

And after a few tries and an adaptor sold by BKS was able to install LED license plate lights.

Looking forward to this summer. I have a list of things I want to do and it feels like it gets longer every time I look at it. I just hope I have enough time and money to get it all done.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Out with the old and in with the new.

yesterday I did a much needed interior update.

I love the look and feel of the new shift knob! Special thanks to MisterJJ for the shifter rod piece and Ponto for walking me thru the process and letting me know what I needed to get the job done. You guys rock!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome! Great start to a build. I'm jealous of the milage your A3 is at. What combo plate light and resistors did you end up using? Do you have a bulb out warning?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome! Great start to a build. I'm jealous of the milage your A3 is at. What combo plate light and resistors did you end up using? Do you have a bulb out warning?
I tried a few pairs from ECS. One pair with built in resistors and one without and both sets gave me the dreaded bulb out warning. Then I found this adaptor at BKS.

And it took care of that annoying light. I ended up getting a third set of bulbs at a car show locally because they were brighter. I wish BKS would make this same adaptor for LED reverse lights.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey good chatting with you on Instagram.. lol S-tronic shift knob is soo much better than the bulky stock one.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Love the Monza!!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Should be able to get plate lights without resistors if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
And it took care of that annoying light. I ended up getting a third set of bulbs at a car show locally because they were brighter. I wish BKS would make this same adaptor for LED reverse lights.
For the reverse lights talk to DeAutokey perhaps, I got my reverse LED's off Johnny (Krazyboi)

Resistor required yes, but 400 Lumen Cree LED's and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey good chatting with you on Instagram.. lol S-tronic shift knob is soo much better than the bulky stock one.. :thumbup:
Yeah man! Thanks for the info on the grille. I'm sure I will be hitting you up with more questions about a few other mods. Keep up with all the great work on your car.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another interior update.
Installed dimpled leather E-brake handle to match the new shifter.

I have one more interior mod to install. Just waiting for one last part to be delivered(stupid VW back order) before the weather gets nice and I can start to do some work under the hood.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
It's all about the little interior touches. I don't have much left I can change out haha. Just the seats now I think. Everything has been replaced.

Sent from my Igloo

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's all about the little interior touches. I don't have much left I can change out haha. Just the seats now I think. Everything has been replaced.

Sent from my Igloo
I couldn't agree with you more. I would love to get a flat bottom wheel but that's going to have to wait. I also wish I could find a set of those grab handles for less than $800. You are a very lucky man.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car looks great! If you're ever going for a drive / event somewhere around Denver - PM me and maybe we can meet up and cruise together.
Yeah man for sure. If you hear about any events let me know as well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Still Waiting…

Still waiting on my local VW dealer for that last interior piece. I could have/should have ordered it from ECS, but I got a better deal from VW. So I figured I might as well get my windows done while I wait.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts