VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Premium Member
32,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice I said Spring Cleaning, not Detailing. I ran out of time to actually detail the car, but I spent a good two hours cleaning it and removing the tar and road grime from winter.
So in before/after fashion, I took the car to the same place I took it when I did my original pictures back in August when I got the car. 8 months and 10,000 miles later, it still looks the same. Only thing is a few scratches on the drivers side side skirt, but I'll fix those when I do the detailing in a week or two.
August 2004:

Now in April 2005:

Even after the winter, there are still no swirls on my car. Granted this is because of extreme care that is taken while washing and drying, but it is possible. No clay bars or other BS stuff is used on this car, just a mild polish and a pure carnuaba wax.

Just thought I would share. This week my wheels come in, and then suspension will be here sometime this month when I finally decide what to get.

- Anthony

· Registered
3,943 Posts
please tell me how you got the tar residue off, I have it all over my roof and I can't get it off and I don't wanna use clay or compound or anything like that.
My Klasse AIO and carnuba waxes don't do the trick, nor does soap and water.
What is the secret?

Modified by melanotaenia at 2:05 PM 4-11-2005

· Premium Member
32,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (melanotaenia)

Quote, originally posted by melanotaenia »
please tell me how you got the tar residue off, I have it all over my roof and I can't get it off and I don't wanna use clay or compound or anything like that.
My Klasse AIO and carnuba waxes don't do the trick, nor does soap and water.
What is the secret?

Modified by melanotaenia at 2:05 PM 4-11-2005

OK, but just because I don't want you to waste your money on a claybar.

Stoner Tarminator, $4.99 at PepBoys. Take a wash mitt, use soap and water and wash the lower half of the car. Then dry it off, and spray the area down with Tarminator. Let it sit for about 15 seconds, you will see the tar start to "drip", and this is your key to wash. Take that same wash mit with the soap and water, and wash it off. Your paint will be clean as can be.
Some Tarminator residue will stay on the wash mit, so not only do you have soap, but also a slight solvent. The directions say to spray the tarminator onto a towel and rub the tar off, but that will create some micro-marring, whereas my way does not.
- Anthony

· Registered
502 Posts
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
No clay bars or other BS stuff is used on this car, just a mild polish and a pure carnuaba wax.

So why, in your opinion, are clay bars and other compounds not great? I used clay a few times on my 20th and it worked very well. I'm getting ready to do the same to my R. I've actually never heard people saying that they don't like clay.
Perhaps if you use it and don't follow with a bunch of wax, sure, I guess your results will yield a dull looking car.
But seriously, I'm not trying to be provacative or anything, this just catches me off guard.

· Registered
502 Posts
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... (VeeDubStar)

And by the way...Tarminator is nothing less than fantastic. For those that doubt it, try it. It works.
In fact, all Stoner products that I have tried are great. Invisible glass works wonders, really a great job on all glass. I've started a bunch of people on Invisible glass and they all love it.

And that car is waaaay red. Nice and clean. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
502 Posts

Well....this makes three in a row for me.

Anthony, just saw your post about clay in the detailing forum.
To me it seems like one of those things that people continually disagree about, because you really could go either way. Your car looks fantastic in those pics, probably better than some peoples' after they detail for a few days.
I do think though, that clay use is more beneficial in some geographical areas than others, due to climates and the abuse that the cars withstand.
That said, I'm going to stick with my clay and just try not to drop it on the ground.

· Premium Member
32,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by VeeDubStar »
Well....this makes three in a row for me.

Anthony, just saw your post about clay in the detailing forum.
To me it seems like one of those things that people continually disagree about, because you really could go either way. Your car looks fantastic in those pics, probably better than some peoples' after they detail for a few days.
I do think though, that clay use is more beneficial in some geographical areas than others, due to climates and the abuse that the cars withstand.
That said, I'm going to stick with my clay and just try not to drop it on the ground.

I would agree, in some areas with high industrial environmental fallout, clay may be beneficial. However, a slight solvent like Tarminator and then a good polish like 3M (which I use), will remove any contamination in the paint.
After you clay you have to polish anyway to remove the micro-marring that claying causes. Just an unnecessary step for me.
- Anthony

· Registered
268 Posts
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... (henman5000)

Looks good. My car is overdue for a little TLC too. NE winters can be brutal on our cars. Good thing I don't drive it much in the winter.
Can't wait to see the new mods on your car.

· Premium Member
32,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... (roadrunner469)

Quote, originally posted by roadrunner469 »
Your car looks awesome Anthony
Love the clear bumper markers with the r/c/c/r tails on the red, almost looks as good as it does on a blue .:R
Right Neb?

Yeah, I like the theme. It seemed obvious considering the brushed aluminum and other "bright" pieces on the car. That is also why I got the polished strut bar.
Quote »
So when are you getting those teddy bear ronals?

Sorry, I had to pass on those.
The wheels did get here today though.

· Premium Member
32,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... (HOTHATCH32)

Quote, originally posted by HOTHATCH32 »
any suggstion's on F'in' tree sap !!!

There you can use a solvent like Tarminator which should neutralize the sap, or you can go the claybar route.

· Registered
502 Posts
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

There you can use a solvent like Tarminator which should neutralize the sap, or you can go the claybar route.

I had some tree sap on my BMP 20th last summer/fall...it fell on the car in small little dots all over the paint. The type of thing that doesn't want to come off at all. I tried claybar but it would have taken months to get it all off.
In this situation, I would stick with Anthony and sugggest tarminator. Just make sure to get all the tarminator off too when you finish up.

· Registered
528 Posts
Re: Ahhh, a little spring cleaning.... (Supercharged VR6)

3m multi purpose cleaner, spray can or in liquid form works great on hard to remove debris...by the way Anthony, your car looks awesome http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ...kicking myself in the a__ for not shoosing the red

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.