VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting an AHU into a mk1 for a friend and the drive by wire from the donor 98 Jetta TDI is massive.

Now I have a pedal from a mk4 1.8t that also has six wires but I'm not sure if they will be compatible.

The mk4 pedal would be WAY easy to make fit. Any advice from someone who may have invented this wheel already?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
22,356 Posts
you should be able to yes..i believe the connector was diff on the early pedals of the AHU

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the pedal connectors are different which is why I ask.

The ground wire is the same but no other colors are similiar.

I plan to get the car wired and then crank up VAGCOM and watch to see if the Throttle angle changes while I move the pedal.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I just jumped in last night and figured it all out. After a few mods to the pedal itself, VAGCOM registered the pedal and showed 0 to 100%.

Anyway...perhaps this may help someone somewhere...here is how to do it. Cut the pig-tail off the factory mk3 DBW unit. Find a donor mk4 pedal and cut the pigtail from the harness. My donor was an 01 Jetta 1.8t.

So with the two pigtails in front of you, wire like so.

mk4 pin # (color) -> mk3 pin # (color)
1 - Gray/white -> 5 - Green
2 - Yellow/green -> 2 - Pink
3 - Grey/Red -> 3 - Brown
4 - White/Blue -> 1 - White
5 - Grey/Blue -> 4 - Grey
6 - Brown/Blue -> 6 - Yellow.

After I turned on vagcom I noticed that the pedal registered no lower than 7.5% even when adjusted to the lowest setting. I had to modify the housing on the mk4 pedal slightly to allow the potentiometer to go down to 0.0% After that the pedal showed smooth movement through vagcom.

In the picture below you can see the massive and antiquated mk3 DBW pedal. It looks much worse that this before you cut all the metal away. On the right you see the mk4 pedal. Much nicer package. Above you can see the mk3 to mk4 plug and play harness. The left side was cut from the mk3 DBW unit and will plug right into the car. On the right of the harness is the pigtail from any DBW mk4.

Hope this helps.

Jason

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if anyone cares, I can show a picture of the bracket that I welded up that is a BOLT in piece to use a mk4 pedal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
if anyone cares, I can show a picture of the bracket that I welded up that is a BOLT in piece to use a mk4 pedal.
do you have those pics of the dbw bracket you made still? very interested

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts