VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is subtly lost in the aftermarket or am I looking in the wrong places? I’m in the process of building a Pontiac 350 for my lemans and I haven’t had much luck in finding a decent 14” air cleaner that carries the aesthetic I’m looking for.

I’m looking for something a little more understated than the chrome Edelbrock air cleaner that starts rusting before you open the box. With that said, I’m calling on the car lounge for some ideas.

·
Registered
1992 Mazda Miata
697 Posts

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Get the tallest filter that will fit under your hood. The low profile filters will cost a few ponies. In addition to the above Summit brand, Trans-Dapt and Holley both sell black 14" air filter housings. If not using a stock-style housing, with snorkels and hoses for cold air, I would lean toward something like this: Edelbrock 43662 Edelbrock Pro-Flo High-Flow Series Air Cleaners | Summit Racing

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dad put one of these on the crate motor he built up last year. looks very clean

The summit one above without any writing seems like a good option too! We didn't come across those when we were searching.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Not sure what the rest of your build looks like but, I grabbed this for my Cutlass, it's a Spectre unit found on Summit Racing:

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

Took out the inboard lights. It gets HOT under the hood, you can really feel the difference and i think it makes the carb tuning more accurate:

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

And now i need to see more pictures of the project. Have a build thread anyplace?

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,295 Posts
That's a nice Cutlass. ^^

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. That cutlass is dialed! I think I may be overthinking this and will probably end up using the factory cleaner with a flipped lid.

Here’s what we’re working with by the way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And now i need to see more pictures of the project. Have a build thread anyplace?
No build thread yet. The car is currently in storage and the engine is at the machine shop. Maybe I will start one when the engine comes back. It's a one owner car that I scored on when Covid hit. I have the original bill of sale and window sticker along with some other cool documentation. The odometer reads ~37k miles but I don't think that's accurate based off the brake pedal wear. Then again, it's non-power 4 wheel drums so that may also be a factor.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Get the tallest filter that will fit under your hood. The low profile filters will cost a few ponies.
So will a drop base. And also--perhaps ironically--so will a filter lid. If you don't mind underhood air, a traditional 3" tall filter with a solid lid and flat base is the way to go. (A dual snorkel setup with hoses to the front would be better for the cool air, as seen in the photo above.)

If you're going for maximum performance, OTOH, you could always use a salad bowl instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts