VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to search for concerning this issue, so I'm just gonna ask.
Today, I left work....it was hot and humid, so I turned on the AC.
I took off and immediately noticed that the lurching, hesitation, whiplash shifting that sometimes occurs was really Bad. I found myself cursing the whole time I was driving around, doing some errands. Finally, on the leg home I turned off the AC, the problem got much better right away. So I turned the AC back on and the problem came back.
Any clue what might be going on here?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Re: air conditioner and how it affects the V8?? (wishin'foratreg)

can you do this experiment:
check how the car behaves when you have the AC on auto, versus when you have it on manual (neither the auto nor the econ light on).
it's most likely due to the additional load that the compressor puts on the engine, but it's possible that it's a purely electronic problem, and that experiment might shed some light on that.
regardless, my first thought is that this is the drive-by-wire giving more gas because of the additional load, and the tranny responding to that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: air conditioner and how it affects the V8?? (sciencegeek)

I can answer this now...it behaved the worst when the Auto light was on. It seems to drive more smoothly when neither light is on but Econ doesn't seem to affect it nearly as much as Auto does.
When the Auto light was on, I could not stop the vehicle smoothly nor take off without a jolt and there was no smooth shifting at all.
Guess this should go on my "to be fixed list"

Thanks Sciencegeek for being on the West coast and still awake!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts