VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wierdest thing started to happen with my a/c. I am getting, hard to explain but i will try, kind of a grinding/wooshing/almost like the sound of an after market exhaust sound coming from the evaporator area of my dash. pasenger side. I have stock exhaust. As i accelerate the sound gets faster. i can really hear that sound when in reverse. But when i turn off the a/c button, the sound goes away. the best explanation i can give for the sound is aftermarket exhaust, that baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sound. But real quite and muffled. Only when stereo is turned off can i hear it.
the wierd thing is as i accelerate it gets faster and louder somewhat. is there some part from the engine that spins that makes the compressor spin faster? what could be causing this sound?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: air conditioner grinding/wooshing sound?????? (cberthin)

Nope, but I am going to the dealer soon anyway, and I will ask him about it. Hopefully I don't get the "all cars make noises" answer. I hate that.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Re: air conditioner grinding/wooshing sound?????? (bludubbin)

It's probably a reed valve in the compressor. Most likely it will require the compressor to be replaced.
The compressor spins at the same rate as your engine, that's why the noise changes with RPMs.
BTW, it's not going to be cheap!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Re: air conditioner grinding/wooshing sound?????? (bludubbin)

Do you mean you hear the noise inside the car??? Thats what it sounds like from your description... Anyway if it is inside the car then it could very likely be noise from the refrigerant going through the expansion valve and into the evaporator. It will usually be louder just after the compressor engages and will quiet down as the system pressures stabilize. It can be louder if the expansion valve is bad or if there is air in the system. Then it continues a bit after the compressor shuts off and the hi/low sides equalize.
For the most part it is normal and should sound like an aerosol spray can or rushing water in a pipe. Other noises could be caused by low refrigerant, a bad compressor or air in the system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: air conditioner grinding/wooshing sound?????? (GTIdaho)

I hear mine inside the car. Only when the A/C is on, and only when the car is in motion. to me it sounds a little like a bee is stuck somewhere in my vents, or like a piece of leaf is stuck on a fan. That kind of sound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.