VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't used my A/C yet this year and was wondering if those who have notice a big differnce in gas mileage and or power. The 2x's ive turned it on i noticed a slight bump feeling and the car slowed just a lttle bit (1/2 mph). This is with a stock 20th but with CAI/chip and dv going in soon i'm wondering how much of a diffence using the A/C makes on power and gas mileage.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Air conditioning and power (chose2drive)

yeah it makes quite a difference...I would love to make a device that would shut off the AC compressor during boost....but yeah, its normal

·
Registered
531 Posts
Re: Air conditioning and power (chose2drive)

Yes, there is a definite loss of power with the A/C on. It is especially noticeable when trying to step off from a dead stop. With the A/C on, there is very noticeable lag in the power response. With the A/C off, the car gains speed in smooth, more linear manner.
This did not happen with my previous VR6. I guess it's what happens when you have a low compression 4-cylinder off boost.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Re: Air conditioning and power (JokerJetta)

Well, with my VR6, it seems if I have the A/C on and I decide to punch it (like say, 75mph downshift to third and P U N C H it) that the A/C will keep blowing, but the air isn't cold until I let off the gas. I think most cars do this to maximize power under WOT or something...
maybe someone should test this someday...

·
Banned
4,829 Posts
Re: Air conditioning and power (VTECeateR)

I noticed a growl at WOT and when at idle it seems to make the idle much rougher. This is on totally cold at like 2. This happen to you guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts