VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to ahve their coolant refilled? i have the big red book that tells me i cant top it off but have to discharge completely and refill. i guess this means i have to take it somewhere and pay for it. has anyone had this done? how much should i expect to pay?
any information is welcome.
thanks
-wade

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Re: Air conditioning R-134a refill (Wade2Fast)

yes, you usually have to empty, suction, and refill. Probably about $100, not certain, depends on location and stuff

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Re: Air conditioning R-134a refill (Wade2Fast)

i just had mine done yesterday and it was around $100 or so. first time having a/c back in my car in 4 years!!

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Re: Air conditioning R-134a refill (SaucemanVR6)

mine was empty and i refilled it myself, it isnt hard its like spray painting into a hose, all u do is screw the hose onto the AC line and hold it upside down and shake the can around as you spray it, worked fine for me

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Air conditioning R-134a refill (1SickWhtDub)

i just did mine as well... the refrigerant was so low that the pressure switch didn't even trigger the compressor.
Soo... I forced the compressor on (there is a harness hooked to the receiver dryer in front of the passenger side wheel under the car, short pins 1 and 2). Then I pumped 134A into the low side line on the passenger side near the firewall. All you need to do is get a couple of cans form the auto parts store and the valve/hose. Stay away from the aerosol quick cool cans, they leak something terrible.
A big note of caution however. Doing it this way does NOT ensure that you get the exact correct pressure. Maybe buying a gauge would solve this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts