VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (eurotrashrabbit)

I had a 68' beige bug for 5 years and between my bro's n dad we had 4 baja's all round..at different times ofcourse..what did you used to run?? honestly when I bought the caddy I was looking for a split window double cab just as bad..but the caddy came to me so cheap..and had a heater
so now I'm into water http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

I intended to be, but when I called about the Karmann Ghia I found on a bulletin board, and the guy says, "I've also got a Rabbit GTI for sale."
I got my Superbeetle after I had the GTI for a while. I'm still planning on getting a pre-67 Bug one of these days. Guess I should finish the Super first.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

I was..my first car was a 66 Bus that was a major project too much for me at the time. I bought a 71 Fastback after that and drove it for about a year. I learned alot about automotive electrical systems from that car, a little too much.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (BUNNYLOVE)

I was but gave up on an aircooled for a daily driver. currently looking for a '70s bus for a watercooled conversion.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (wabit)

[Raises hand] Here. [/Puts hand back down]
'69 Baja in high school. Took it to South Parde and got sand in the carbs. Never ran right after that.
'67 Bug. Currently in a restoration hold stage as I complete the GTi. Plan on dropping a 2.4L Type 4 engine in it, though.

[Modified by 67vwbug, 10:11 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Air cooled VWS? (67vwbug)

I still have the 73 Thing I have had it longer than the Rabbit I have owned the thing for 8 years. I started out being into air cooled about 15years ago and will always be into them

·
Registered
6,145 Posts

I bought my 67 beetle in 1998. I needed a winter beater so i bought a rabbit gti for $800. Now i'm on my second bunny and just finished my 2.0 8v conversion..but this winter the bug is getting a type IV all beefed up. We'll see whats faster when i'm done...

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (83 bunny)

I had a 71' ghia, a 59' bug, as well as a 69' bug. They were all fun, I'd love to get another ghia and do it up "right"... maybe 1.8T style.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (sirhcorrado)

me..me...currently own a 66 beetle along with my 78 mk1 and 2 corrados..since this is an aircooled thread here is a pic...although i do like my beetle i love my watercooleds
Brien

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (83 bunny)

quote:[HR][/HR]but this winter the bug is getting a type IV all beefed up. We'll see whats faster when i'm done...
[HR][/HR]​
The bug should be faster on the strip. Be real careful on how you plan your rear axle. You cannot go stock. They'll break like twigs. You need a new tranny and axles. I am going with a Rancho trans and Sway-Away axles, and having it built by a guy in Cali (name escapes me now).
The bunny will tear it up between the cones.
That's why I'm building the bug for the 1/4 and the bunny for auto-x.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts

I started out as a hard-core air cooled fan, and have owned many many different varieties (bugs, buses, lots of Type IIIs, etc.). Sometime after college I realized that my time was better spent on Watercooled cars, and that the air cooled cars were great for recreational use (I still love the styling, I just can't live without the conveniences of the watercooled cars).
So, now I have an air cooled toy and a watercooled daily driver (Turbo Beetle and 2.0L 77 Rabbit).... here is a picture of my aircooled toy:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (beetlevdubn)

dean, that thing is badass! how do you go about starting a project like that? where did you find the platform?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Had a 64 Bug. I still kick myself everyday for selling it.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Yep, my first car in 1987 was a '57 Oval window. Since then, I have owned a '64 baja, 73 squareback, 80 vanagon, 80 rabbit, (2)83 GTi's, (2)84 GTi's, 76 bug, 89 16v golf, 96 golf sport, 85 quantum syncro wagon, 78 audi fox...I know I'm forgetting some...

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (dermass)

Thanks.... Basically, I started to look for the project after my buddy got his going. Once I saw his, then I looked for a decent body, totally fabricated the chassis from a 1955 Beetle pan that had already been shortened, and the rest is history. Check out the complete project at: http://www.vdubn.com
Here is a picture of my buddies, buggy (the inspiration for mine):

·
Registered
944 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (beetlevdubn)

i have a 66 bettle that i have all restored. and my first car was a 83 rabbit. anyways, i am back into the a1 vws and all my aircooled buddies cant understand why i like them but as long as it says vw on it then i like it. they are all P O S in some way or another but i will always have them. i just dont understand my addiction sometime!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts

ME......Ive owned more air than water.
Ill post a pic of my last once I figure out how to post a pic
Ryan

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: Air cooled VWS? (VWVento67)

I had more than 15 different aircooled vw's before, my first car was a shaved and ultra-lowered 63' beetle when I was 13 (in the 80's in mexico you did not need a driver's licence, with a 20 pesos bill was good enough) then a had a bunch of different beetles, a baja, a brasilia (don't ask me , hard to describe, it's like a notchback) until I went to college and got my first water cooled vw: a 78 scirocco from there up, including other german, italian and british cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts