VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fitted an air fuel gauge today in preparation for boost, but i want to make sure ive hooked up the sensor wire properly. i mean, the gauge works as it should and everything i just need to be told its ok

1.8l JH w/standard CIS > 3-wire oxy sensor, two white wires seem to go to the oxs frequency valve with a two-pin plug, while a third wire (black) connects to something with a spade connector.
i hooked it up to the individual black wire. the bentley lists different wire colours to the ones i have, so the car must have had a replacement O2 sensor at some point. which is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: air/fuel gauge (dino01)

I think those were supposed to have 1 wire o2 sensors. A 3 wire sensor is just a regular sensor with a heating circuit. If you turn the key on, 1 wire should be 12v, one should be ground, and the third is between 0 and 1 v, thats the wire you need to tap into.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: air/fuel gauge (SilverRabbitGTI)

I do have a single wire O2 sensor. How does that hook up? I could never get the gauge to read corectly. Do you just take that wire and run it to the gauge?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: air/fuel gauge (Turboed77)

ill double check it but im sure it was three wires. perhaps cabbys came with a heated sensor?
to hook up the gauge it just required power, a link into the lighting circuit and a wire to the oxy sensor. thats it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: air/fuel gauge (dino01)

i would say the black spade connector.. usually there is a 'port' that can be used in the engine bay to hook up an external gauge.. this sounds like it...
by the way, don't expect to get very good readings from your gauge.. for anything critical you need a wide band o2 sensor..
the narrow band reacts too slowly and has, well a narrow measureing band...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts