VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This install was done on a 2002 1.8T AWP with an Autometer Ultralite gauge for vehicles with a 5v O2 sensor which is most 2002+ vehicles.
I went to BAP imports and picked up a universal 1 volt 1 wire O2 sensor made by Walker. The part number is 250-21000, it costs ~$25. You'll need to have a muffler shop install the O2 bung precat. Once its installed, run the Violet wire through the fire wall keeping in mind to keep it as far away from the DP as possible so it doesn't melt. Connect the Violet wire to the single wire on the O2 sensor. Next, disconnect your battery and connect the red wire from the gauge to the thick Black/Red wire on the headlight switch... This will be your power wire. Next, find a ground for the Black wire coming from the gauge. I chose to use the ground on my dimmer switch. make sure all your connections are good and put everything back together... Thats it!!!
My review of the A/F gauge... well, I'm not all that excited about it, but that could be because it doesn't have any backlighting just the LEDs. It is also hard to get any good readings from, but maybe i didn't let it warm up enough on my quick jaunt around the block.
Oh well, I'm glad I've finally installed it.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! (boraIV)

someone does care!!!

Modified by boraIV at 3:48 PM 9-5-2003

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! (CapeGLS)

alright, i'll post some pics when i get home.... i'm so happy someone cares!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Anyone know the color of the O2 sensor wire for a '00 1.8t (AWD)? I've been trying to find out now for a month!!! My gauge is sitting in my car with everything hooked up except the O2 sensor wire!

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! (Scrampa1.8T)

i used this same procedure but with a bosch universal 1 wire 1 volt sensor and it works like a charm. kind of a pain in the ass for a gauge though.

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyone know the color of the O2 sensor wire for a '00 1.8t (AWD)? I've been trying to find out now for a month!!! My gauge is sitting in my car with everything hooked up except the O2 sensor wire!
[HR][/HR]​
search and youll find that.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! (LA Wolfsburg)

I care my gauge is sitting in the pod in the das not connected cause I don't have the time right now but thanks for the writeup!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! ('03Wolf)

There are two very noticeable problems with the proceedure as linked to by '03Wolf. No offense to '03Wolf, I've no idea if he made this, or if he just linked to it.
First off, sensor is spelled sensor not sencer.

Second, the sensor is running off of a very specific voltage. If you splice into the sensor wire going to the ECU to connect another sensor or anything for that matter, you will change the voltage. That will cause an incorrect reading which will lead to problems.
Good job on the original poster's idea. I'm not sure what good it will really do since we can't change the a/f ratio without some sort of controller, but hey, gauges are nice

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Re: Air/Fuel guage install!!! (jmullman)

so for a VR6, am I looking for a black wire coming from the stock o2 sensor? or a different colored one?... my all my other gauges are up and running all except this dratted A/F gauge...
IT'S JUST ONE WIRE!! which is it?

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Something I said I would do 7 months ago. yeah, i procrastinate.

Modified by boraIV at 7:12 AM 4-28-2004

1 - 20 of 42 Posts