VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I got it fixed finally. Hissing, loud noise at cold start is what was killing me for last 3 years. I just recently started getting CEL with references to air pump and air flow. I read tons of posts on how to fix the codes but I guess everyone thinks noise is normal. Well, it is not.
The pump is actually 3 parts connected together by plastic snaps and there are some rivets that go thorough all 3 parts. Well, rivets are cheap and they came off. I always give kudos to Germans for their genuine products, and this is not the genuine product at all. It is not made that well if you ask me. So thumbs down for this one http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Anyways, the hissing comes out the pump as the top section and other pump sections are not seated fully. I am not sure what caused this but pushing it in does not solve the problem. It looks like it deformed from heat or it was hit by something. I was able to press the top of the pump and the noise stepped but as soon as I let it go, it starts hissing at me again. I called the stealership today and they were unable to confirm there were screws going through the rivet. So I figured out I will do it the Serbian way.

PRE FIX
1. Remove top and bottom engine cover
2. Find skinny pair of hands

FIX
1. Remove rivet

2. Use 8/32 1.5 inch screw with locking nut
3. Stick it in instead of rivet
4. Use 8mm socket to tighten until gap is gone

5. Open Heineken and enjoy the fruits of your labor

6. Put some ointment on your hands as they are scratched up and hurt as hell at this point
This will now put me in a good position to troubleshoot the CEL which could be caused by this but maybe not.

Modified by hdudic at 6:10 PM 5-26-2007

Modified by hdudic at 6:12 PM 5-26-2007

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (vwPanda)

I do man but who cares. No time to be correct. just help people. But good point. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Re: (hdudic)

Quote, originally posted by hdudic »
I do man but who cares. No time to be correct. just help people. But good point. Maybe next time.

Lolz, it's like, "Hey God...that whole Bible thing you got going on? It's good in context but damn do you need spellcheck!"
Nice fix...
for joo!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (FMF)

I know my spelling sucks. Thanks for reminding me AGAIN

It is just a nature of the beast. Just kidding. You guys are the best. One more thing. I have the pump diagram so you can see the screw I am talking about that should have been or supposed to be on the pump.

Screw is number 3, 4 and 5 but again, other pictures I found of this pump are not showing this screw. It was riveted together. There, I used the spell check.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: (hdudic)

THANK YOU http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif THANK YOU http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif THANK YOU http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Getting my recently purchased Wolfsburg road ready and the pump is howling like a banshee. Dropped the lower engine cover and what do I find but 3 of these rivets are shot to hell.

C

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: Air pump noise RESOLVED (hdudic)

i have no idea what you are talking about. Can you repost the pics?

·
Registered
25,379 Posts

for the first post, no pics. right click, view:
Page not found …but while you're at Photobucket, why not try:

·
Registered
789 Posts

was this the only rivet that was missing on your pump? The last time I did an oil change, I noticed a few of mine were gone. I assume to use the screw and locking nut on all the ones that are missing... thanks for DIY for I was about to drop some cash on a new pump.

Modified by Crzypdilly at 5:17 AM 6-7-2007

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lost only one but that was enough to make the hissing noise. I would replace all of the rivets with the bolts and put locking nuts or spring washer and nut just to ensure it doesn't unscrew from vibrations. Good luck with your repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts