VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to put a spearco air to water intercooler in my 1.8t corrado... core number is 2-252 i believe..
i need to know what pump i should run without spending like 250 for the spearco one..
i was told a heater core supplies enough cooling ? is that true and if it is how big of a heater do i actually need? i was more thinking motorcycle radiator and fan or a audi 5000 radiator just for the intercooler.. any suggestions or ideas would be grealty appreciated.. im not too familiar with these so i want to make it effiecent enough its only going to be driven every once and a while to play around with .. so guys im up for any suggestion but im not rich and running pretty low on cash... any one got any of these pump used laying around? thanx in advance

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AIR- WATER Intercooler questions? (speedbuggy20v)

i forgot ask but since i work for mercedes will one of the S600 auxilary water pumps work for my application .. i think it only puts out about 5 gpm.. i can get it for like $80 lemme know
i am aiming for 300 whp under 14 lbs of boost on a t03/t04e 50 trim .63 ar turbo

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i will also be using about a gallon bottle for a resevoir and incase i want to add ice to it
i forgot to ask will a auxilary pump off of a 2003 mercedes S600 work for my application.. i wqas told it pus out 5 gpm but now sure i can get those for like $80 since i work for mercedes.
i am planning on running 14 lbs of boost and aiming for 300 whp
let me know

·
Registered
8,607 Posts

For cooling the water, a heatercore will definitely be enough. That exactly what I plan to use.
As for the pump, there are several approaches. Here's a good article if you haven't read it already, there is a page or so about pumps, somewhere in the last few pages. : http://www.autospeed.com/A_0090/P_1/article.html
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Re: AIR- WATER Intercooler questions? (Agtronic)

Even with really good intercooling, I think 300hp is going to take more that a T04's 14 psi. That isn't exactly a huge turbo. 300hp is definitely within reach, but I'm guessing you'll probably have to run closer to 18 lbs ...

[Modified by Agtronic, 11:24 AM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Re: AIR- WATER Intercooler questions? (Agtronic)

Here is a really great artical on a DIY A/W intercooler being fitted to a Subaru. This particular install uses a Jabsco pump (which I've heard are pretty good quality) that runs 17+ gpm.

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~gavinp/airwater.htm
A great resource though.
*edit* might help if I included the link.

[Modified by EchoOfGecko, 6:24 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: AIR- WATER Intercooler questions? (EchoOfGecko)

In mine I'm running a VR6 pump, it works really well. As for the cooling, on the right side of the I/C it goes to a smaller radiator mounted on the cars radiator, about 12X9" and then goes back to the water box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts