VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Airbag - Clock Spring Question

581 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DaddyOfPayton 
#1 ·
I pulled my steering wheel the other night, and without thinking, forgot to disconnect the electrical connector. So, when I pulled on the wheel, the inner part of the clock spring housing popped out along with the clock spring ribbon/wire.
Initially I crapped my pants, but then realized that the clock spring hadn't completely unwound. I carefully rewound the part that was hanging down and the inside part of the housing (the part with the plug that plugs into the harness) snapped back into place and appears to be totally fine.
My quesion is.... do you guys see any reason why this could cause any problems? I think it should be fine, but the last thing I need is to cause any issues with the airbag.
TIA,

#2 ·
Re: Airbag - Clock Spring Question (beetlevdubn)

If they suggest the clock spring to be changed after a deployment, I would guess the thing is pretty fragile.. though I've been in your shoes .. basically did the same thing (in the middle of my Cabrio VR conversion 4 years ago infact) and I just re-coiled it.. it never threw a light or code.. so I ignored it.. that's a lot easier to ignore than unsightly corner gaps on a hatch though

#3 ·
Re: Airbag - Clock Spring Question (CountBlah.......)

Oh goodie Blah did it too. I felt really dumb when I did it and my spring unwound completely tangling and kinking itself. I rewound it all together but recently i've been throwing an airbag code for a "Resistance" check the SRS does I suppose. I found one on ebay for $89 and should have got it then.

#5 ·

Quote, originally posted by CountBlah....... »
If they suggest the clock spring to be changed after a deployment, I would guess the thing is pretty fragile.. though I've been in your shoes .. basically did the same thing (in the middle of my Cabrio VR conversion 4 years ago infact) and I just re-coiled it.. it never threw a light or code.. so I ignored it..

Yea, this one didn't kink or even twist, so I am sure it should be fine. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one.

Quote »
that's a lot easier to ignore than unsightly corner gaps on a hatch though

Wait 'till you see the decals that I'm puttin' on it, it'll knock your socks off. I have this sweet one that's going along the base of the windshield, takes up like half of my viewable area, but looks so nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#6 ·
Re: Airbag - Clock Spring Question (beetlevdubn)

I've done it before too, it will be ok. You only need to replace them once they become unwound. You can tell when it's been unwound too because they will kink. If you need it I have two 96 and up bags and wheels. I think I have two complete systems including the passenger... I'll let em go cheap too, because I'm never putting them back in a car, I'm anti airbag.

Modified by Lawn Ninja at 4:36 PM 5-19-2004

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by CountBlah....... »
that's a lot easier to ignore than unsightly corner gaps on a hatch though

LMAO......it rears it's ugly head again!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.