VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for those who have installed the new performance fronts on a MK6 Jetta. Have mine installed and have the notorious "clunking" noise which I've learned relates to the sway bar being over extended. Wondering if anyone has the right piece of information to resolve the clunking (I planned to thread the bodies down a bit more, increasing the length of the shock, to give me more clearance and ride height at a lower PSI).

I'm looking for information regarding:

• How you installed
  • What you adjusted
  • Your current dampening setting
  • Other useful install notes

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm wondering if someone had a set of power grid adjustable endlinks to see if they could mess around with the length of them and see if there is a "sweet spot"

I recently installed them in an A3 and was having similar clunking at highest ride height setting.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more so wondering if the clunking noise is the actual strut itself maxing out.... Can't confirm until the end links are off but was just wondering if anyone else given this a try.

I'd like to know about the power grid adj. links are the ticket for this specific application.

·
Registered
96 Posts
installed these new struts on TTS, MK6 GTI, GOLF R, CC , PASSAT B6.
No endlink issue.

We met a clunking sound if you are driving near your struts Max height.
Just adjusted threaded body or driving a lower height, clunking sound gone.

Hope this will help you.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I got a chance to pull and reinstall my fronts - I adjusted the threaded body of the Performance Front air strut so I would have some additional lift (the shipped height didn't do it for me). For those of you that have these, I adjusted enough so you can easily thread the included leader lines without having to line up through a notch in the threaded body locking collar.

In addition to this, I also swapped my FSB end links: passenger side end-link is now on driver side, and driver side is now on passenger side. Both I, and my technician friend agreed it makes way more sense installing this way. ZERO clunking, even with adjusted height and driving almost at full PSI (full lift however).

AND I can still get as low as the factory height setting of the threaded body. Might make another lift adjustment to see how high you can really adjust the bodies without effecting completely aired out height.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Thread your bodies up about an inch and tighten the lock nuts at the top. That solved everything for me.
I will have to investigate this tonight. On my '12 Beetle Turbo the collar is all the way down (how they shipped) and i have the sway bar disconnected because no mater what height or psi i had in the bags, it never seemed to stop clunking with the endlinks. So I took them out and the sway bar is just hanging there.

psi have for driving around in the fronts are 50 and 30 in the rears.

If I go any higher it gets really bouncy and clunks.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also reversed the endlinks. The left and right endlinks didn't look correct after installing them the way they're supposed to be installed, so I swapped the sides. No clunking at all until I push the fronts to max height, and I mean MAX height.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I will have to investigate this tonight. On my '12 Beetle Turbo the collar is all the way down (how they shipped) and i have the sway bar disconnected because no mater what height or psi i had in the bags, it never seemed to stop clunking with the endlinks. So I took them out and the sway bar is just hanging there.

psi have for driving around in the fronts are 50 and 30 in the rears.

If I go any higher it gets really bouncy and clunks.
the clunking you are getting is from over extending the strut. once you increase the gap between the bottom of the bag and the threaded collar, you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
the clunking you are getting is from over extending the strut. once you increase the gap between the bottom of the bag and the threaded collar, you should be fine.
I spoke with someone from Airlift at h2oi this weekend and this is what he told me too. I haven't adjusted anything yet, but will be doing it this week! hope for the best!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I spoke with someone from Airlift at h2oi this weekend and this is what he told me too. I haven't adjusted anything yet, but will be doing it this week! hope for the best!
There are certainly 2 distinct sounds that happen.

There is a distinct sound when the bag is fully deflated and you hit a bump that is definitely an adjustment on the bag itself.

However there is also a different noise I am experiencing which I'm going to check my end links for as some others tried. I get a grinding/popping sound when I make sharp turns or reverse where I spin the wheel all the way in one direction.

I'm going to try reversing the end links and seeing what happens next.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
There are certainly 2 distinct sounds that happen.

There is a distinct sound when the bag is fully deflated and you hit a bump that is definitely an adjustment on the bag itself.

However there is also a different noise I am experiencing which I'm going to check my end links for as some others tried. I get a grinding/popping sound when I make sharp turns or reverse where I spin the wheel all the way in one direction.

I'm going to try reversing the end links and seeing what happens next.
I think I potentially get something similar. The pop kind of noise when turning, doesn't always seem to happen. Sounds like popping a piece of plastic or something. Hard to describe.

But I do have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJvBmlqmSU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNfiov4-oY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some MK6 platforms will require you to adjust the lower mount to lengthen the overall strut assembly when installing the 75576 performance threaded body front struts. Also keep in mind the suggested driving pressure is only 45PSI on these struts. The clunk that you are experiencing is due to the strut rod reaching max extension and could potentially cause damage to the strut cartridge if adjustments are not made. Due to a broad model, engine, and year fitment with a MKV/MKVI there are some vehicles that will need these adjustments.

Those of you who are experiencing the clunking, what is the pressure in your front bags when the subframe first makes contact with the ground? If you have anything higher than 10PSI at the first instance that the subframe lays on the ground then you need to extend the strut length to fully utilize the air springs potential.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Some MK6 platforms will require you to adjust the lower mount to lengthen the overall strut assembly when installing the 75576 performance threaded body front struts. Also keep in mind the suggested driving pressure is only 45PSI on these struts. The clunk that you are experiencing is due to the strut rod reaching max extension and could potentially cause damage to the strut cartridge if adjustments are not made. Due to a broad model, engine, and year fitment with a MKV/MKVI there are some vehicles that will need these adjustments.

Those of you who are experiencing the clunking, what is the pressure in your front bags when the subframe first makes contact with the ground? If you have anything higher than 10PSI at the first instance that the subframe lays on the ground then you need to extend the strut length to fully utilize the air springs potential.
Thanks for the clarification Tom. Unfortunately I do not lay subframe yet since I do not have a frame notch on the passenger side. I'm keeping 20psi in both front bags when I "air out" so the passenger frame does not rest on the axle. Driving around I have 50psi in the front bags and 35psi in the rears. This is on my '12 Beetle Turbo.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts

I have had a ton of fine tuning I have had to do to my own personal car. The sway bar endlinks like to come loose I have had to re-tighten them down multiple times now. The other issue I have run into mainly because of the amount of camber I have to run due to the extreme nature of my wheel fitment ( 18x8 et 30 and 18x10 et 33 ) is the endlinks clipping the plastic fender liners and pulling them out which also makes a horrific clicking noise. My car is fully down around 5-10psi and the ride is still extremely rough. Hopefully in the next day or so I will be able to really fine tune it and then I can possibly provide you guys with some solid answers as to what will solve your issues.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Ok so I spent a good amount of time fine tuning my suspension setup yesterday and this is what I was able to come up with. I found that the ideal height for the lower mount is 2 1/4" from the bottom of the bag to the top of the locking collar. This setup gives me full drop with around 6 psi left in the bags. I have the dampening set at 9 up from soft and my daily driving height is 50 psi. This is still a little bouncy for me but is much better than it was before I adjusted it. Most of the clunking noise is gone I only notice it when going into driveways and when hitting pretty aggressive dips when cruising at freeway speeds.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Matt, the softness/bouncy ride you are getting is from the current damping level. We send them out in the middle at 15 clicks from full stiff. Try to set it at 15 and work from there.
Yeah ive had them at 15 and as high up as 23 IM still playing around with the dampening to get the perfect ride for my application

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.