VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Have you been able to reduce/eliminate that grinding and popping noises or did you not experience these to begin with?

I had a lot of different noises going on. I had a loud metal on metal sound which started about 2 weeks after install which I isolated to a lose end link nut. It has come lose on me again since and I have it torqued down to about 75 lbs now and havent had any issues since.

I also had a very loud poping noise that was present when I hit large bumps or was close to maxing out my turning radius and this was isolated to the sway bar endlink tab catching the fender liner so I trimmed the liner to eliminate this noise.

I still get some noise when going in steep driveways or over large speed bumps which I believe to be from the strut fully extending but that is the only noise I get now.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Ok so I spent a good amount of time fine tuning my suspension setup yesterday and this is what I was able to come up with. I found that the ideal height for the lower mount is 2 1/4" from the bottom of the bag to the top of the locking collar. This setup gives me full drop with around 6 psi left in the bags. I have the dampening set at 9 up from soft and my daily driving height is 50 psi. This is still a little bouncy for me but is much better than it was before I adjusted it. Most of the clunking noise is gone I only notice it when going into driveways and when hitting pretty aggressive dips when cruising at freeway speeds.

Hope this helps
anyone have pics of the best height for the fronts struts? I believe im maxing out. Gonna try and play with them tomorrow.
if you never adjusted you are

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Do I have to take them out of the car again to adjust them ?
I didn't remove mine and was able to adjust. Did it on Johnny's car too, although his was a bit more of a pain.
On some kits the bag is really hard to spin I found for my car it was much easier to drop the knuckle and spin them down then to disconnect the air line and try and spin it while still in the spindle

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
On some kits the bag is really hard to spin I found for my car it was much easier to drop the knuckle and spin them down then to disconnect the air line and try and spin it while still in the spindle
Funny part is Johnny and I have the same kit lol.
But it is a good point nonetheless, in which I suggest try spinning them first and see if it works. (make sure to loosen locking collar first) and if it's too hard. Just follow above steps

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
that's because you shouldn't be spinning the bag. :what:
I was meaning the upper portion of the strut by getting it to rotate on the pillow ball, yes if the bag is spinning you can ruin the o rings that seal the bag to the strut body causing them to leak but way to misconstrue what I was trying to say in an effort to sound like you know more than me

·
Banned
8,087 Posts
I was meaning the upper portion of the strut by getting it to rotate on the pillow ball, yes if the bag is spinning you can ruin the o rings that seal the bag to the strut body causing them to leak but way to misconstrue what I was trying to say in an effort to sound like you know more than me
I wasn't trying to misconstrue the situation, just clarify that you shouldn't be spinning the bag as it will ruin the o-rings. :)

·
Registered
14,267 Posts
Do I have to take them out of the car again to adjust them ?
You really need to take a look at the end of the install manual. You want the car to stop ""dropping right around 1 psi of bag pressure. As soon as you start pumping air in the car should start rising. You don't need to take the whole bag out to adjust. As Andrew states just undo the bottom and spin it accordingly. It can be time consuming but will be well worth it and ride like a dream afterward.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have alleviated all the clunking! WOOO!
I unbolted bottom of the strut, dropped the entire assembly while still having the airlift strut mounted at the top to the shock tower. Loosened the locking collar and spun the bottom of the strut 1/2" from where it was shipped. I'm now at 2" of threads instead of 1.5". Relocked the collar, attached the sway bar endlinks provided with the kit (I was running without the sway bar connected because it was making too many noises - could've been only because of the stut maxing out). Remounted the strut into the assembly, bolted it, torqued it and voila! No more clunking, and still same psi as before. Feels much better with the sway bar connected too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm still getting a clunking noise when I exit driveways at an angle, I'm fairly sure it's the front sway bar hitting the axel because there are marks on the axel. I did the threading of the struts to make more clearance so I don't max out the strut. The space between my bag and the lower strut housing is 2 1/4in, and I also made sure to properly torque down the top strut bolts. When I'm aired up and go over speed bumps and come out of driveways straight there is no clunking but only when I go out at an angle there's a clunking. Oh and when I'm at my ride height preset "2" and go out of the same driveway angled there is no clunk.

I'm not too sure what psi I'm at as I have the elevel management setup. From the elevel calibrations preset "3" is 10% from the max height. Is anyone else getting the clunk when leaving driveways at angles?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know I am bumping a year old thread ... but do you guys have pictures of how low the car sits with these performance series bags. I have the Votex lip kit and would like to avoid notching the frame. Is it possible to install this kit and adjust the strut length to the correct height so I can "air out" and not hit the axle or my front lip? Will setting give me a good ride height if I choose to daily ride at the H&R spring level height?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for those who have installed the new performance fronts on a MK6 Jetta. Have mine installed and have the notorious "clunking" noise which I've learned relates to the sway bar being over extended. Wondering if anyone has the right piece of information to resolve the clunking (I planned to thread the bodies down a bit more, increasing the length of the shock, to give me more clearance and ride height at a lower PSI).

I'm looking for information regarding:

• How you installed
  • What you adjusted
  • Your current dampening setting
  • Other useful install notes
I had that problem it’s a problem with the top of the bag assembly clanking and won’t spin mine ended up breaking and having to be replaced but I know it will come back

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.