VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
intakes are tuned specifically to an engine, and a certain displacement..

if you put an intake off a bigger engine onto your 1.6, it would probably lose intake velocity, and just become doggy off the bottom end..

and forget my comment earlier about BIG POWER..

you have a 1.6, and you are NOT going to turbo it, so forget about making big power..

if you want more power on the cheap/easy, just do as everyone else is telling you, and swap a GTI engine in there.. preferably a 16v..
I was considering boosting it but I wasn't sure if it would just kill the engine and i was worried that it woul do the intake some serious damage as its plastic rather than metal.

I am just assuming the intake is a restriction based on my experiences with my 205 and Golf Driver as these both went a lot better when fitted with bigger intakes. I don't want monster power out of it yet, 30 - 40% over stock would do me for now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I will admit that I don't fully understand the mechanics of the intake on the Polo now, I guess it's a bit more than just the basic ones I am more used to.

The reason I ask a lot is I cannot find ANYTHING that lists the AKL in terms of performance so I wanted some basic pointers as to what will / won't fit from other models from people who know a bit more technical knowledge than me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Would this be ok to us to replace the entire air intake assembly up to the throttle body?

Looks like it would be about the right size to fit?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-9752TB

Looking at removing the Cat totally but looks like I`d have to keep it in order to avoid the engine management light coming on and failing my MOT test. 2012 test regs mean that all your warning lights MUST light up and then go out so it looks like the cat has to stay but can be replaced by a 200cpi "race" cat.

All booked in for the exhaust to be done early next month and looking at getting a better flowing exhaust manifold but having massive problems finding one that fits!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If you are looking for opinions I can offer mine. If you're looking for someone to tell you how to waste your money then I'm not your man. Forget buying that thing if performance is your goal while passing your MOT, period. If it does not violate the inspection and you want some "cool" factor in the parking lot then buy the thing. Bottom line is you have to sit down and figure out what it is you want from your car in an honest way.

I know K&N is a well talked about company. But that does not mean that you should believe all that you hear or read. You will not get 8hp from bolting on that intake or any other one for that matter. That ad and thousands like them are based on a few things; selling as many products as the can to make money, making big claims (there is a big is better public out there) to draw in buyers, making very broad CYA statements to avoid the dis-satisfied consumers and hoping that nobody has the time/money/ desire to do back to back dyno tests to make a case against them for a simple return. Don't understand me wrong, there are ads and products that do help and meet their claims. The key to not wasting your money is education so that when you read an ad and red flags pop up (that means serious questions come to mind about their claims), and they should at times, you either have the knowledge to say BS or the knowledge to look deeper and discover if it id fact or fiction.

Fact is you have a 1.6L 8v engine which makes 100hp. That really ain't bad if you think about it. Yeah, the early Golf I GTi made 110hp from the same size engine, but it did not have to meet any emission tests and nobody gave a rats §ss about fuel consumtion then either. Fact is that for "bolt on" parts you are looking at about a max of 15% horsepower increase. Not knowing your plans, if you have any, or the in and out of the UK MOT tests it is hard to suggest anything. What I suggest you do first is this:
~ make a detailed list of what you expect from your car based on how you will drive it.
~ come to a budget limit, then add 20% and plan around that unless you hit the Lotto or something
~ list what you can and can not do based on required tests, police, your own desires
~ then start doing research and educating yourself on areas you don't know a lot about
~ part of the research/education is asking questions at places like here, but state them with some background and purpose and plans and limits and as much information you can remember to include.

Try it and see if it works for you :beer:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fact is you have a 1.6L 8v engine which makes 100hp. That really ain't bad if you think about it. Yeah, the early Golf I GTi made 110hp from the same size engine, but it did not have to meet any emission tests and nobody gave a rats §ss about fuel consumtion then either. Fact is that for "bolt on" parts you are looking at about a max of 15% horsepower increase. Not knowing your plans, if you have any, or the in and out of the UK MOT tests it is hard to suggest anything. What I suggest you do first is this:
~ make a detailed list of what you expect from your car based on how you will drive it.
~ come to a budget limit, then add 20% and plan around that unless you hit the Lotto or something
~ list what you can and can not do based on required tests, police, your own desires
~ then start doing research and educating yourself on areas you don't know a lot about
~ part of the research/education is asking questions at places like here, but state them with some background and purpose and plans and limits and as much information you can remember to include.

Try it and see if it works for you :beer:
Right, so list so far goes something like this;-

Exhaust manifold (cant find anything that fits so will a Golf Mk4 platform one fit??)
200cpi Sports cat (done)
Upgraded exhaust (done!)
Air intake (bit of a pikey mod but sort of done)
Coilovers (not really a perfomance mod but helps handling so power can be better put down)

Probably guessing at it being about +5-10 bhp at an absolute maximum

Spend so far - £600(ish)

Last part of the "big" upgrades would be the cam but here I have hit a brick wall call complete lack of knowledge and not knowing where to look.

Will a stock ABA cam fit and will it give a difference in performance to the stock cam. Also I have seen some Schrick cams but they list various different degree levels etc.

So far I have seen 260/260, 268/260, 268/268 and 268/270 (plus 270/270 but I think this would be awful!) so I am as cunfused as hell!!!! Whats best for a daily driver that isnt going to give me a horrendous idle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All, I'm also very interested to see what you can do with this engine. I have the same engine (AKL 1.6L 8V), but in a mk4 Golf.

I don't want enormous amounts more power, just that little bit more. Any information on these types of engines is very hard to find, let alone people who are/have done engine mods on them.

A point to keep in mind for the OP, is something I've been told many times over here (in Australia), is that the engines on these 1.6L mk4's have weak gearboxes, and they barely survive the existing power from the engine, let alone increasing the power and therefore stress on the gearbox.

I am also told as the other MAIN point of advice over here, that the cheapest, easiest and least heart-breaking way to go about all of this is to just sell up and buy a GTI, which not only has more power, but much bigger/better brakes, and a much stronger gearbox.

My colour you can't get in a GTI here (only black/white/red/silver), and that's the thing holding me back from selling to get a GTI. My car...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Right, so it hit the rollers yesterday and ran a so-so 121bhp, so something is holding it back. I'm thinking it might be the "generic" remap, so I'm wondering if it is worth getting an MS ECU for it?

Still not sure what cam to run but I am probably going to go for a 268.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Right, i can't seem to break this over 120bhp so I think its time to go turbo with it!!!

Already looking at decomp plates and uprated internals (which I cant seem to find anywhere!).

Just wondering what sort of turbo to look at - already seen the SPA turbo mainfold that will fit (i hope!) so, to break 150bhp-ish without breaking the engine.

Is this do-able or not?

This is now my second car so I am not worried too much about this being off the road for a while whilst its built up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very useful thread actually, i have an AKL as well in a bora. i have only made a custom cold air feed for it and deleted the centre box so far though

Back to reality though, kenbot is right in saying the 8v gearboxes are like custard. The differentials are mounted with rivets rather than more sensible bolts etc, so shear off and punch holes in the bell housing. Having done this myself before I found out about the DUU code gearboxes i strongly suggest you get a rebuilt gearbox with stronger diff first, before you blow a grand on a repair instead of your mod plans.

I've looked into upgrades for the 8v as i don't want to replace the engine due to the emptier look to the bay and also the rarity of a show standard car with such small beans for power, and have found that with a 2.0 8v camshaft, a decat exhaust system (or freer flowing cat), better fuel regulator/pump, WEIGHTSAVING, sensible cold air feed and panel filter (used with original box to eradicate heat-soak), and a remap can all significantly improve the potential of the car.

Beware of the loss of mpg and possibly low end torque though, more power at one end will suck power from the other. Happy spannering though, and save up for blown sensors along the way ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello y'all, I too am interested in some Upgrades, I dont expect much. I can't help but see how much the same this engine is to the 2.0 8V. Has anyone tryed to "upgrade" the stock intake manifold with the 2.0 litter one? It looks easy, same bolt, same running tunnel etc bigger throttle body and injector propably, would the ecu read it good? Also if anyone can tell me what the stock TB size is for the AKL engine. The 2.0 litter one is 56mm.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.