VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

18321 - 18337 of 18337 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Really car believe this thread is still here. Back in a VW after a few years hiatus. Bought an 88 16v Scirocco. Hopefully I can make it out to some of the DK meets soon. I would post pics, but I'm not really sure how to from my phone. :facepalm:

Check out my IG page if you'd like. @brokenwind_claplikethunder

·
Registered
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Copy/paste:

Just wanted to introduce my 'rocco.

The Craigslist Gods shined their eyes bright upon me with this absolute peach of a Scirocco. She's an 88 16valve in Alpine White with black interior. Like most older VWs, it has issues, but nothing honestly major.
Oil leak at the pan, fuel leak somewhere around the tank. The brakes are garbage but "work", seems to be a weeping caliper. Other than needing a bit of maintenance, she's a runner. Fires up every time without issue, idles well also.
Has a few period correct goodies and some near mint 16" BBS RCs(?) on it with brand new Continentals. Corrado front buckets in mint black leather. The whole car needs a good scrubbing, including the headliner which is beyond gross and moldy, but I believe that will clean up with some AP cleaner and magic erasers. The seats and door cards need cleaned and treated. There are two cracks in the dash, but that's it. Everything works from the blower under the dash (though noisy), the electric windows and even the electric mirrors.

The P.O. started putting the German flag inspired pinstripe vinyl on, but couldn't decide if he liked it or not so he never finished it. I have enough vinyl to do both sides and I likely will.

Enough jibber jabber, on to the pics:

FB_IMG_1549304844331 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304835349 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304841368 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304838290 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1549304851532 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0209191143 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0209191139 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

0203191353b by Clay Williams, on Flickr

180412 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

180393 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

This is the filter above the tank in all its crusty glory.
179430 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

My two bitches
0525191857_HDR by Clay Williams, on Flickr

Stripe off, back in the shop getting ready for tear down. Paint for the outside, bay and motor are coming sooner than I anticipated. Ordered all new rubbers for the windows, doors, sunroof and hatch. Gonna leave it white but with a touch of pearl to it. Engine will be flat black, all the accessories will be gloss black.

183781 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

WHen the po removed the molding, it took some paint with it...hence the stripe.

183782 by Clay Williams, on Flickr

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow, what a wonder project!! Great find and please keep the updates coming! I would love to see the final(are they ever really done?) product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Wow, what a wonder project!! Great find and please keep the updates coming! I would love to see the final(are they ever really done?) product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. It's already had a ton of maintenance performed just to get it road worthy. Engine will be coming out for a refresh. 200k miles on a stock 16v, it's time. Not really doing anything major to it as far as power goes, just making it reliable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Selling my Bentley Manuals

Hey guys,

I'm doing some spring cleaning and ran across some Golf/Jetta Bentley manuals. Anyone need a MK2, MK3, or MK4 shop manual?
The paper backs have both had a little humidity damage, but they are both still perfectly usable.
The hardback MK3 manual is in great shape.

I don't mind shipping them if you aren't in the Huntsville area. I'll meet in the middle for shipping cost.

MK2 paperback: $40
MK3 hardback: $50
MK4 paperback: $40

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Did anyone make it to this?

Unfortunately I had a prior engagement and couldn't go.

Sent using Tapatalk
I'll make it eventually.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey guys, I'm doing some garage cleaning in preparation for a move. I have several random things I need to get rid of. I'm in Huntsville so I can meet anywhere in North Alabama, or I can ship at buyer's expense.

Make me an offer on any of this stuff (bet I won't turn it down)

-Thule roof rack for mk2 GTI
-Carbonio 1.8T intake tube (no filter)
-5-speed transmission from mk3 Jetta 2.slo (needs new reverse gear)
-Brake calipers from mk4 GTI (painted red)
-Bentley Golf/Jetta manuals (mk2, mk3, and mk4)
-ECU from 2004 GTI 1.8T 5 speed manual
-instrument cluster trim for mk2 GTI (new in box)
-mk2 GTI camshaft. I think it's the G cam

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

18321 - 18337 of 18337 Posts