VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alaincopter's dirty brasil-style AP turbo fox build

Since my original thread got deleted when the forum changed, I've decided to make a new one showing everything that has been happening to this car since day one. It is a lot of stuff, so please be patient!

Let me start by saying that I've always wanted to have a nice Voyage, ever since I was a kid. I was born and raised in Brazil so I really grew up around BX platform cars. My first favourite car was my aunt's white Voyage.

Anyways, onto the fox-coloured Fox. This is when I first got it in 2007.

The 87 Trans AM you see beside it eventually got sold to fund the Fox; the grand cherokee was my first vehicle and I still drive it to this day.

At 318,000 km, this Fox appeared to be in good shape... until you looked at the engine bay. Many would say this is not a good candidate for a turbo project; but this car caught my eye and I could really see its potential underneath all the dirt and rust.

I sort of knew what I was getting into. This was a very inexpensive car to begin with and I knew that making it nice would be a neverending story, but I was really set on saving this one, one little thing at the time. First thing to do was to get some new wheels for it. I was always set on following a brazilian OEM+ style with this car so I decided on similar wheels to the Voyage Sport - the BBS 14" basketweaves from the late '80s BMW 325. Pics:

Then right before winter came (bad idea but whatever) I decided to cut the springs.

Ghetto thing to do, but Foxes ride surprisingly well with cut springs.

First actual brazilian goodies on the car: '91-94 Voyage Sport smoked tail lights and clear markers:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
then the real fun (and lots of work) was about to begin. Took a trip to Brazil in '08 and came back with a turbo kit and some other goodies.
Here's my cousin holding the box with my biagio .48/.50 turbine, outside the Fast Street performance shop in Campinas, São Paulo (those folks are awesome to deal with and very knowledgeable in anything related to adding horsepower to AP engines)

A couple of pics from inside their shop

And then back home with the goodies waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, you gotta start somewhere. I knew I would have to revisit most of my install to clean everything up and do things right, but I was really eager to get the car back on the road and feel some power/hear that blow-off sound that I decided to leave some things for later (ie do a dirty install) and get the car working quickly. Yes, this involved a "custom exhaust" made mostly of flexpipe!

Luckily I then moved out of student housing, into a house with an actual garage!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had gone to OSCR with hopes of having Jonathan build me a proper exhaust; unfortunately, he was incredibly busy with preparations and with other people's cars. He did help me a lot by tuning my DPR and giving me a ignition advance/retard diaphragm from an Audi turbo; but then back home something had to be done about my exhaust. So I got myself a pipe bender, got the downpipe welded, ruined many feet of pipe, and eventually got it done.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Up until that point the car still had a 4-speed on it. Shortly after having acquired a limited slip differential from Brazil, I got a hold of the first PSA 5-spd tranny I could find and installed it. Turned out that transmission had a bad synchro on 2nd gear.

Turned out being okay, since I had an excuse to install this ceramic clutch that arrived shortly after. The stock clutch had been slipping the whole time since the turbo had gone in.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.