VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the vw world just buying a 97 golf trek this weekend. it came with the factory alarm but the dealer said i could only arm/disarm it by turning the key in the passenger door or the rear hatch. i tried both but only the passenger door arms/disarms the alarm, any clue on why this is? does it just need to be reset at the dealer or maybe do i need a keyless entry remote?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: alarm questions (surfrboy58)

try turning the key twice (one right after another). The 2nd turn will open or close all the locks (including the lock on your fuel flap)

·
Registered
8,633 Posts

That's bogus. You should be able to set the factory alarm by locking the doors and turning it ONCE on EITHER of the passenger or driver's side door's. If the driver's doesn't work it's because the lock cylinder inside has this little ring thing that 'catches' the lock mechanism. If it's just spinning freely and won't lock the door, you need a new one. Someone here can chime in about it I'm sure. Not a hard thing to replace and it's very common, happened to me.
Get it replaced BEFORE you buy the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: alarm questions (Red Baron Golf)

i already bought the car but it's still under warranty so they should fix it for me....the drivers side locks and unlocks the door it just won't arm or disarm the alarm. oh and i tried the turning the key twice deal and it didn't do anything except for the passengers side door, it armed/disarmed the alarm, thanks for you're help though

·
Registered
8,633 Posts

Hmm..if it locks and unlocks the door then there is something else wrong with it. Not sure what the problem would be but for sure all VW's with a factory alarm should be able to lock the door and have the alarm set from the Driver's side. I mean, c'mon...WHY would you have to walk all the way around to the back of the car or to the passenger side JUST so you could set the alarm??? Get a hold of an original owner's manual and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: alarm questions (Red Baron Golf)

yeah that's what i figured i mean, it'd be pretty stupid to have to do that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts