VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to be annoyed by the honk that my 06 Jetta 2.0T makes when it locks, like a lot of ppl who have 06 models. When I originally test drove the Jetta in 2005, it had the nice alarm system that chirps. I've read all the below threads:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2332741
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2279004
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2288623
I figure that there must be a way to install this special horn to make the car chirp instead of honk. In one of the above threads, Theresias mentioned that some cars had the Byte 16 Bit 4 enabled and some not. Activating this Bit (Siren Installed) with my VAG-COM creates the following error:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 242
Mileage: 8826 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:46:31
After doing a search in the VW technical documents on Ebahn.com, it became obvious that this alarm horn H12 is not installed and that would explain why the alarm uses the two horns built in the lower bumper vents (H2 and H7 if I'm not mistaken). I called my VW dealer and was quoted $273CAD for the part (1K0 951 605C). It mounts in the passenger fender well and is connected to the Alarm Horn relay.
Theoretically, if we install this part and activate the Byte 16 Bit 4 in the 46-Comfort convenience and other appropriate bits, we should have a car that chirps, no? I don't think it has anything to do with a different control module version. Has anyone done this installation? I'm waiting for my dealer to tell me if they can install it.

Modified by mattenfeu at 9:40 PM 8-6-2006

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
We'd need to check a 2005.5 to be sure, but I think you may be on to something. I'm supposed to be doing some Vag voodoo on a 2005.5 2.5 in the near future, so I could check this out at that point if necessary.

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,882 Posts
Re: Alarm System (Blink vs. Honk) - Possible Solution? (mattenfeu)

Curious as well... every time I arm my GTI I keep imagining the damn honk is getting even louder and more annoying. I guess it's not as bad as those damn American cars that just honk both horns when arming and make the neighborhood wonder who the hell is honking

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

I created a similar post a while back(brian my remeber)
It was a beep or horn thread.
I have a 05.5 with the beep(chirp)type of sound,and as far as i know,nobody else has this sound,so i guess its just the 05.5 models

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
WorldImpex has that part for just a smidge under US$200. I think I'd rather find one in a junkyard and wire it up.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (nastybags)

Quote, originally posted by corradokidg60 »
Curious as well... every time I arm my GTI I keep imagining the damn honk is getting even louder and more annoying. I guess it's not as bad as those damn American cars that just honk both horns when arming and make the neighborhood wonder who the hell is honking

I just disabled it completely. It's a pain to have to look back at the car to watch it lock, but whatever. I was tired of waking the dead at 3am.

Quote, originally posted by nastybags »
I created a similar post a while back(brian my remeber)
It was a beep or horn thread.
I have a 05.5 with the beep(chirp)type of sound,and as far as i know,nobody else has this sound,so i guess its just the 05.5 models

Sure do. It is just the 2005.5 cars. My mom's 2004 Touareg has it as well. After 2005 or so, they, too, got the cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I hope we'll get to make this work... There has been a lot of talk about this in the forum, but no one has really looked into it. Sounds almost like an easy mod to make.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (mattenfeu)

Quote, originally posted by mattenfeu »
I hope we'll get to make this work... There has been a lot of talk about this in the forum, but no one has really looked into it. Sounds almost like an easy mod to make.

In theory. I've not played with a 2.5 on the VagCom yet, so it could prove to be the earth-shattering discovery in terms of retrofitting the chirp horn.

·
Registered
573 Posts
im interested for my mk4. a friend of mine has a subaru impreza and i really like the way it just chirps.

Modified by Gale__ at 4:24 PM 8-6-2006

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (Gale__)

My 05.5 "chirps", and BYTE 16, BIT 4 is set to "1"

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Tim Birney)

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
My 05.5 "chirps", and BYTE 16, BIT 4 is set to "1"

Thanks, Tim. That's right in line with what we're thinking, it seems.
If you happen to be bored one evening, do you think you could examine the general vicinity of the horn and let us know if it looks like a complex install?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

My "cricket" lives just inside the firewall, on the passenger side, above the ABS unit. There is a ventilated portion of the plastic cover on the passenger side, and the "cricket" is just below that, and is mounted on the passenger compartment side of the firewall.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Quote »
I just disabled it completely. It's a pain to have to look back at the car to watch it lock, but whatever. I was tired of waking the dead at 3am.

I found an easy fix. You can disable the honk when using your key and it'll still honk when using the remote.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
I was tired of waking the dead at 3am.

Either you work late nights or your a major partier?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Aguilar)

Quote, originally posted by Aguilar »
I found an easy fix. You can disable the honk when using your key and it'll still honk when using the remote.

I'm not sure I understand this one.

I disabled it completely because the honk is annoying at any time, no matter what method I use to lock/ unlock the car.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Quote »
I'm not sure I understand this one.

I guess I didn't word it right (english as a 2nd tongue here)
There's an option (in the long coding helper) to just blink (opposed to blinking and honking) when you use the actual key to lock the car (instead of the remote in the key).
This way you can lock your car silently whenever you want but don't have to break your neck to check when you use the remote.
ps. i'll post a pic later.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (kawzx7)

I have to visit my Bentley CD to confirm what I hear.
There is a wire going through the Firewall from the Engine compartment, to an area just behind the Glove Box, and just below the windshield. It is in this area that I hear the "chirp" the loudest.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts