VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know where I could get maybe 4 or 5 square yards of Alcantara fabric, in black. My plan is to buy a new set of front seat covers for my '95 gti, take the stitching out and remove the inner fabric of the seat. You know the weird multi- color cloth of the seat, and replace these pieces with black Alcantara. Any distributors that anyone knows about? I will check locally for the fabric, but I live in San Antonio, TX, which isn't exactly California

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (Manic_VR)

Another name for Alcantera is ultrasuede. Some places like Joann's fabrics sometimes have "Ultrasuede". Check your local fabric stores. At least one should have it.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts

ultrasuede and alcantara are 2 different things.
alcantara is a brand, this stuff is the good italian stuff and will not fade in the sun.
ultrasuede will.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (gotta_jet)

Quote, originally posted by gotta_jet »
ultrasuede and alcantara are 2 different things.
alcantara is a brand, this stuff is the good italian stuff and will not fade in the sun.
ultrasuede will.

Alcantara is what they call Ultrasuede in Europe.
Do a search and you will find several different kinds of Ultrasuede. For doing the interior of a car you want Ultrasuede HP. Prices vary from about $60 to $120 a yard.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (Kyle C)

Quote, originally posted by Kyle C »

Alcantara is what they call Ultrasuede in Europe.

they are different materials.... like saying kangaroo leather is the same as napa leather... both are leather but def. not the same...
both alcantara and ultrasuede are synthetic suedes, but they are not the same.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (Golf-RSi)

Golf-RSi is right. Lots of companies make synthetic suede from man-made fibers and call it ultra suede. Alcantara makes premium fabric. May look the same to those who don't give a ****, but they're not the same. Quality.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Manic_VR »
My plan is to buy a new set of front seat covers for my '95 gti, take the stitching out and remove the inner fabric of the seat. You know the weird multi- color cloth of the seat, and replace these pieces with black Alcantara.

I think you might have a hard time getting the stitching right, what with the whole seat cover being under tension when it's on the seat - not to mention when you sit or move around on it. Alcantara proably has to be cut on the diagonal or something so it doesn't stretch too much.
While you're doing seats in Alcantara, why not do the steering wheel and shift knob too?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (merlin)

Quote, originally posted by merlin »
Well, DAMN. My face is red; I stand corrected.

Nah, don't sweat it. I thought the same way until I found out. I used to sell it. Just make sure you use the correct material. You wouldn't want to use the light stuff in a car. We used mainly the Milano line for seat inserts. It has a strong backing to resist wrinkling, stretching and tears.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Re: Alcantara Fabric, where can I get it? (ELECTRODYNE)

Bling Bling.... I loved your white jetta! I saw in person @ the last 1552 show last year. I was with the dubspeed crew... when we were DSR anyways.
just wanted to shout out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.