VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alex's GTI Gets Some Love

Factory Specs: (Purchased New on December 28th, 2012)
2012 GTI 2-Door
6-Speed Transmission
Tornado Red
Jacky Plaid Interior
Bi-Xenon + LED Headlights
Bluetooth/Navigation
Sunroof
18” Detroit Wheels

MODIFICATIONS

Exterior:
Color matched front bumper
Euro Front Lip
OEM Tinted LED Tail Lights w/ Rear Fog
3M 1080 Gloss Black Vinyl Roof Wrap

Interior
OEM GTI Monster Mats
LED Interior Lights
Aluminum GTI Seat Handle Badges
Euro Dash Cubby w/ custom molded AutoPilot V2 controller mount
SRQ Customs 10" Subwoofer Enclosure
Rockford Fosgate 10" R2 Subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate PBR500X1 Amp w/ EQ Remote
MKV Under Seat Amp Holder/Cover
OEM Euro Switch

Engine:
APR Stage 2 Tune
Eurojet Turbo-Back Exhaust
Volant PowerCore Cold Air Intake
N2MB Racing WOT Box

Suspension:
AutoPilot V2
Air Lift Performance Series Front Struts w/ shortened end links
Air Lift Double Bellow Rear Bags
Air Lift Performance Series Rear Shocks

Wheels/Tires:
3SDM 0.05 (Custom Painted)
-18x8.5 (Fronts)
-18x9.5 w/ 5mm 42DD spacers (Rears)

Nitto NeoGen 215/40-18

Hey everyone,

I purchased my first new car just over a year ago, a 2012 Tornado Red GTI. What an awesome feeling! This car is just my daily driver and I've devoted all of my time and money towards my true love, my MKI.

But now that the MKI is practically finished, I need something to mess with and my daily car needs to stand out from the rest of the stock cars around here. So here we are. You all know what a stock GTI looks like, so I won't bore you with those pictures. But here's one from the day I picked it up:

Then not long after, before 1,000 miles actually, the car ended up in the ditch...

Couple weeks later and lessons learned, it's back on the road and looking better than ever. I got the bumper color matched while it was being repaired.

Got those little seat emblems installed.

And that's really been it, I've just been driving and neglecting it. So now it's time to show it some love. Picking up an air ride kit since Bag Riders is having a pretty good sale right now. Then will be getting wheels and then who knows what. This thread will just document any progress I make on the car for something to do, look back on and maybe serve as reference if I ever sell the thing. Questions will be asked, beers will be drank and work will be done.

Thanks for looking! :beer:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
:thumbup: Both cars look awesome. Two questions:

1. Can I have your MK1? Seriously. I've been thinking about getting into that scene for a while
2. Are you going with the E-Level system? I'm ordering mine on Wednesday. I think that sale ends on February 1st.

If you had one piece of advice for someone before they get into MKI's, what would it be?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbup: Both cars look awesome. Two questions:

1. Can I have your MK1? Seriously. I've been thinking about getting into that scene for a while
2. Are you going with the E-Level system? I'm ordering mine on Wednesday. I think that sale ends on February 1st.

If you had one piece of advice for someone before they get into MKI's, what would it be?
Thanks!

1. Sorry, this one is mine to keep! I have yet to enjoy it since I just got it road worthy before the snow hit.
2. I don't think so. I'm just going to go with AutoPilot V2. I still have a lot of reading to do on what exactly what I want, but I think the APV2 will do just fine.

And my advice to anyone who wants to get into a MKI: Rust isn't cool. Fix the car, don't destroy it. Secondly, save yourself time, money and headaches--spend the extra money to buy a clean car! Know what you're getting into. Extensive rust repair is not worth it, especially once you get in too deep and realize the car is too far gone and the car ends up in a scrap yard after tons of money has been spent on it. Thirdly, it's a money pit nothing else. Build the car because you love it and want to drive it for years to come, not because you hope it will make you look cooler or turn a quick buck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
And my advice to anyone who wants to get into a MKI: Rust isn't cool. Fix the car, don't destroy it. Secondly, save yourself time, money and headaches--spend the extra money to buy a clean car! Know what you're getting into. Extensive rust repair is not worth it, especially once you get in too deep and realize the car is too far gone and the car ends up in a scrap yard after tons of money has been spent on it. Thirdly, it's a money pit nothing else. Build the car because you love it and want to drive it for years to come, not because you hope it will make you look cooler or turn a quick buck. :thumbup:
Thanks man. I've just been struggling with tying to draw the line between a fully built car and one that's on the edge of being an acceptable starting point :rolleyes: It's too bad that I can't just ship one over from South Africa that was new last year… :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I noticed people list all the specs of their cars around these parts so I modified my first post to include it, even though there isn't much to list at the moment. Reminded me that I swapped out the interior lights for LEDs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That Mk1 is sweet! Sucks about the ditch but it looks like your shop did good work.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The mk1 is the crown jewel but :thumbup: for the mk6. Both cars are great!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.