VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Special Active Shocks and Struts going in this Friday on stock springs. Question: should I wait for a predetermined number of miles to do an alignment, or get it done on the same day after I put in the new setup? Any opinions / best practices welcome.

Bonus question: Anyone have thoughts on what they wish the did while the suspension was off? I'm only at 10k miles so I'm not replacing much else except the upper mounts and bearings and all of the stretch bolts. At some point I want to put in the OEM solid control arm bushings but that can wait.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
There is no reason to wait on an alignment - the shop did mine as soon as they put on my springs so certainly for you just do it at the same time, your ride height is not impacted with this change. Also, no real reason to replace the upper strut mounts and bearings with 10K on them, they will be fine.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
While I agree with Adam not having to replace the mount or bearings, I'd say it depends. When I did a suspension swap on my Audi at the time only had 30k miles, when I removed the bearing it came out split open and the bearings fell out. Could've been bad luck or defective bearing but I had to haul ass over to the nearest dealer before they closed for the day to get a replacement.

On the alignment piece, whenever I "dropped" my cars I waited a few days for the suspension to settle a bit.

Again, not disagreeing with Adam just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both: differing opinions are good.

Upper Strut Mounts are definitely being changed because they are brittle on our cars. I'm still torn on the alignment, not sure how much "settling" happens. I'm not sure I've heard good evidence either way, just a lot of different opinions on the topic.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
There is no settling with new dampers - what would cause that? When I put H&R springs on they aligned it that day and I never saw any settling in the weeks following...I measured it daily and after 10K miles they sit at the same height as the day they were installed.. High quality springs don't settle.

Good article from Tire Rack.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make...bout-using-lowering-springs-to-lower-your-car

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you're just replacing the struts and shocks I don't see any need to wait for an alignment. I would go ahead and have it aligned right after. I just lowered my Alltrack and the alignment was so far off it drove like absolute garbage so I had no choice but to align it right away - on my last car I lowered I waited a week or so of driving to settle the springs some. Again with retaining the stock springs I see no reason to wait for an alignment.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Bonus question: Anyone have thoughts on what they wish the did while the suspension was off?
Lol what? In no way does this address the questions. I am already planning to replace shocks and struts on stock springs.
I was replying to the bonus question. What would I have done differently while the suspension was off --> replace the OEM shocks - yes i know, shocking...

As far as an alignment, I waited a couple of days to do one to let everything settle when I swapped springs only. The second time around, when I replaced the OEM shocks with Koni, I didn't do an alignment, as the shop who did the work said it wouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
mk7.5 GSW 4mo 6sp.
590 Posts
On many occasions I've used a tape measure to measure toe before suspension/steering work. I use improvised alignment plates that I place under front tires when I do toe adjustment after suspension/steering work. Only once, so far, my alignment was off after checking it on a Hunter.
Even though I've developed a good eye for "manual" alignment, I always align vehicles on the machine after front end fork.
Same goes for multilink rear end.
I'd suggest life time alignment such as Firestone offers. It is worth every $ spent.

P.S Remember it is recommended to check alignment at least once a year.

Cheers...

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
. Question: should I wait for a predetermined number of miles to do an alignment, or get it done on the same day after I put in the new setup? Any opinions / best practices welcome.
Yes, replace the OEM shocks
I like turtles should be the response here.

Rule of thumb I've always told customers... you can do it right away, but I suggest a few miles, maybe 200 before an alignment. Unless something is really off, but it shouldn't be.

A few miles will help things settle in. Alignment should be done regardless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. Current plan: going to do the alignment after 100-200 miles and some spirited cornering and speed bump hunting. If the car is off the rails or pulls noticeably, I'll do it sooner. Good plan! Lol MANU01 I got you now.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Thanks all. Current plan: going to do the alignment after 100-200 miles and some spirited cornering and speed bump hunting. If the car is off the rails or pulls noticeably, I'll do it sooner. Good plan! Lol MANU01 I got you now.
Are you DIY'ing the dampers?

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Good call, I've seen people come in after 1k+ miles complaining of cupping or uneven wear, and they got the alignment right away.

Oh look at you current settings, did you hit a crub and a fents? No? Well, that's the settling I told you about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.