VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used the search, guess what...
So I need to get a 4 wheel alignment done, but since I've lowered the car, the tech at Crappy Liar told me that the specs he has to work from on the computer will be off. Now, I am no expert by any means, but I don't imagine that there will be a difference in the specs. I lowered it with Bilstein Sports and H&R Sports, and though it is lower, it is certainly not slammed. So, if someone knows what the stock specs are, or what specs I should be using, please let me know.
Thanks,
Gopal

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Alignment Specs (CorradoGuy)

Come on guys, I know someone in this forum knows more than just what the RS front bumper looks like. Someone has to know the answers to my questions, no?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Re: Alignment Specs (CorradoGuy)

The lowering will effect the camber. That is not adjustable on a C, unless you have a camber kit. It will not effect the general alignment (left, right, or tow in-out) unless the springs are not the same height.
You could always use the string method to see if they are still straight (toe in). An alignment is never a bad idea now and then. But a 4 wheel alignment is not possible on a C, as the rears are not adjustable. You want a 4 wheel reference, 2 wheel alignment.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: Alignment Specs (hallkbrd)

quote:[HR][/HR]The lowering will effect the camber. That is not adjustable on a C, unless you have a camber kit. [HR][/HR]​
Not true - You can get approx 1 degree adjustment from tyhe factory bolts, and smaller diameter bolts are availiable from the dealer if you require more. Both my C's are lowered and did not require the smaller diameter bolts to acheive factory specs.
quote:[HR][/HR]It will not effect the general alignment (left, right, or tow in-out) unless the springs are not the same height.[HR][/HR]​
Hmmm. Where did you learn this? Also not true - any change to the ft ride height will effect all aspects of a FWD vehicle's alignment.
quote:[HR][/HR]But a 4 wheel alignment is not possible on a C, as the rears are not adjustable.[HR][/HR]​
.... also not true. Anyone who has had the famous "rear tire cupping" problems will concur. The rears can be adjusted with shims (or a stub axle as recommended for the cupping issues)
-Mike

[Modified by mpaster, 1:30 PM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Re: Alignment Specs (mpaster)

hmm, I remember there was a good discussion a while ago about the tire cupping issues. MPastor, tell me more about the stub axel solution. In case I have problems with my newly lowered car. I seem to recall this was more of a problem with SLC's, but I am probobly wrong on that point.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Re: Alignment Specs (benzivr6)

Got mine aligned. The rear passenger toe was way out, and un-alignable. So we had to shimmy it to bring it back to as close to allowable spec as possible. That wheel was still out of tolerance spec, but very close. Luckily, the total allowable for the whole car was with in tolerance, so it was ok.
As for those Siezed Bolts, a torch comes in very handy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.