VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of radiator are all of you 16v swap people using? We are having trouble getting ours to fit well. Also, where did you put your alternator and what brackets did you use? Any pics would be a great help. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (schleppy)

If you use an A2 radiator, you'll likely need to have the passenger's side further forwards. Or use a rabbit rad (oil to air intercooler necessary).
You should use a 16V spec alt on the original 16v accesory bracket(long belt) or the 16v non AC acessory bracket(rare). Or cut the AC bracket off the original and use the AC compressor flange after grinding the Boss to fit(make sure you retain pulley alignment).

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (Big CADDY)

I have an A2 rad in my GTI, and fits right across the front. You just have to find an upper hose to work. I had to go searching thru my local parts store to find one. I don't know what its from.
As for alternator, I moved mine down to the A/C spot on the stock bracket and ran the upper arm from the original alt. location.
That is the cheapest way to do it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (schleppy)

I used a scirroc 16v radiator in my 80 rabbit, bolted in perfectly, but when I moved the 16v to my 83 GTI the radiators upper suppoert points on the GTI were different so I had to do with some zip ties.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (Nashty Rabbit)

I like to use the late-style cabriolet radiator. (88-up cabriolet w/aircon) Fits in the stock location,and Ive never had an overheating problem(use a cooler fan switch/thermostat) You have to get a little creative w/the upper hose,last one I built I got a lower hose from a V8 jeep cj7,and cut it to fit.
I'm building a 16v caddy now (top secret) and I'm gonna try like hell to make the rocco radiator work, 'cause I got a brand-new one for free.
The only non-a/c advice I can give is scrounge the junkyards for a non-a/c car,and rob all the brackets,and pulleys. For sanity's sake,DON'T get one of those RPI a/c delete kits.I put one of those kits on a 16v rabbit I built for a friend-the problems we've had so far:
1.Kit doesn't include all the hardware
2.Bracket doesn't fit. I had to put about 4 washers on each mounting stud to get the bracket to clear the water pump
3. The alternator mouting bosses aren't welded on right. My buddy's car keeps breaking the alternator bolts.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (vr6swap)

The stock scirocco 16v radiator with A/C fits in the rabbit just fine. Been done many times. I have one for my 16v rabbit. If you have the A/C mounting brackets I have the adapter brackets to delete the A/C compressor and mount the alternator down lower. I think I still may have the belt. LMK if you are intersted.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: All 16v swap people, I need radiator and alternator advice (GTIZRX)

On my first two A1 GTI's w/ 16v conversions, I went with the rocco radiator and A/C bracket because I felt the larger setup would do better in the 110+ Vegas summers. Then initially I went that route on the GLI, too, until I found out that I couldn't mount my external oil cooler and euro oil filter mount along with the factory Non-A/C bracket so I bought a new A1 GTI radiator and it works just as good if not better than the larger rooco setup. (the eng. bay is less cluttered, too and I'm able to run a cleaner looking upper hose rather than the funky and expensive rocco upper hose. In addition the Non A/C bracket drops the alternator down lower.)
Click on my sig for a shot of the eng. bay.

Modified by 84Notch at 9:46 AM 1-9-2005

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.