VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

81 - 100 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I started driving SUVs before these fancy AWD systems.
It was drummed into you, back then, to never park in 4x4, to reverse about 15 feet to make sure 4x4 was disengaged, and to NEVER EVER use 4Lo at highway speeds.
I've never had a problem with a selectable 4x4 ever, because I still practice these basics.
I do agree, however, that now the public is used to their CRVs and RAV-4s doing the selecting for them, that maybe all 4x4 systems should be "idiot proof".
A "mall rated" AWD system will be more than enough for most Wrangler owners, and I don't say that in a derogatory sense at all.
I use cheap snow tires on my truck and the only time I ever put it in 4wd is going down hills so I can use the transmission to maintain speed.

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So is this thing on display at SEMA because I've seen no live pictures or video of it. . .
Nope, but they have some of those accessories on display. All the did was show off the three photos in my OP, and that press release is all the info we have. It'll be fully revealed later this month at the LA auto show.

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
Nope, but they have some of those accessories on display. All the did was show off the three photos in my OP, and that press release is all the info we have. It'll be fully revealed later this month at the LA auto show.
Bizarre.

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
An all-new Jeep Wrangler would have been the most important new info at SEMA. It’s probabky the most accessories vehicle on the planet
And that's why they showed off the first pictures and then talked about the 200+ accessories that will be available at launch

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Man, $2500 increase over the JKU. Oh well. Just a bit more to have in the jeep while I own it. they mention AC is optional on the base sport, but they don't say if they're talking unlimited or not. IIRC the JKU had AC as standard, but the JK didn't? maybe it's the same way with this one? My Jeep didn't have AC listed as an option (it was just a sport with trac-lock and 3.73 gears).

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,517 Posts
That's very fascinating info. I'll be honest, I had no idea this was such a common and widespread problem. With as stupid as the general public is, why are we not seeing more problems with 4x4 trucks blowing up their drivetrains? Are transfer case 4x4s really so rare that they just don't really get used on public roads, with the public buying Subaru's and other differential based AWD systems?
When the buyer demographic started shifting more with the JKU I thought we'd see a lot of these problems, but I've seen no data. Perhaps the systems are more robust then I expected. I can't imagine all those soccer moms I see driving JKU's aren't using 4WD when the weather turns.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
When the buyer demographic started shifting more with the JKU I thought we'd see a lot of these problems, but I've seen no data. Perhaps the systems are more robust then I expected. I can't imagine all those soccer moms I see driving JKU's aren't using 4WD when the weather turns.
SoccerMomBro: that lever is *hard* to move, I'm not doing it, humph!

·
Registered
17,622 Posts
So in the interest of walking this thread back away from the sexism line, I’ll suggest that a lot of women drove Wrangler/CJs, XJ Cherokees, Blazers/Trailblazers, Pathfinders, Explorers, etc.., back in the day, without blowing up transfer cases. I don’t think operating a manually selected 4x4 system has become harder all of a sudden.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
So in the interest of walking this thread back away from the sexism line, I’ll suggest that a lot of women drove Wrangler/CJs, XJ Cherokees, Blazers/Trailblazers, Pathfinders, Explorers, etc.., back in the day, without blowing up transfer cases. I don’t think operating a manually selected 4x4 system has become harder all of a sudden.
You could say the same thing about manual transmissions but people seem to prefer the minimally easier option.

81 - 100 of 652 Posts