VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: BMW AG
For Discerning Driver Who Wants the Ultimate in M3 Handling Performance
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 16, 2004... Already renowned for its performance and handling, the new Competition Package takes M3 performance to the razor?s edge. Every aspect of the M3?s handling has been tweaked resulting in the best-handling M3 ever.

The wheels are 19-inch forged-alloy wheels with high-performance tires. They connect to a suspension that has been tuned specifically for the Competition Package. Turn-in is quicker with a more direct steering ratio which goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1.
M Track mode and brake system taken from the BMW M3 CSL
The Dynamic Stability Control system includes a less intrusive M track mode, as on the M3 CSL, ensuring the security of DSC and spirited driving too. For inclement conditions the regular DSC mode remains. The brakes, also adopted from the M3 CSL, include compound and cross-drilled rotors. The front rotors have also been enlarged from12.8 to13.6 inches.
As the serious enthusiast would expect, the Competition Package is available in combination with the standard six-speed manual or the optional Sequential Manual Gearbox.
The interior enhancements of the package are subtle but purposeful. The Alcantara steering wheel and handbrake grip feel good to the touch. The addition of the steering wheel-mounted button for the DSC M track mode requires the deletion of the multi-function controls and cruise control. The Competition Package is available with all M3 Coupe interior and exterior color combinations. Two trim items are exclusive to the Competition Package. Special Competition Package aluminum trim is included on the interior. A new exterior color, Interlagos Blue, is offered only with this package.
The Competition Package will be available for 2005 M3 Coupes beginning with December 2004 production and it will make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The price for the package will be $4,000.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Solid. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Nice to see functional upgrades like the brakes, rims, and especially the quicker steering. It's the real deal, not some badged up marketing effort.

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: (juice)

Quote, originally posted by juice »
Solid. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Nice to see functional upgrades like the brakes, rims, and especially the quicker steering. It's the real deal, not some badged up marketing effort.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
..and not a bad price considering what you get.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (juice)

Couple more pics...

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Re: (EK_CTR)

Quote, originally posted by EK_CTR »
Watch all the current M3 owners on the e46fanatics forums getting rid of their cars now! It's time for an upgrade!!

HAHA!! Very true. I hate that forum so much and the people their change cars like their underwear!
Anyway, I agree, that is a very nice upgrade for a car in it's last production year and reasonable http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
38,788 Posts
Re: (Aluman)

What's a price of the CSL over the regular M3 ?
THat's what I think I'd take instead.

· Banned
19,814 Posts
Re: All New Competition Package For The 2005 BMW M3 Coupe (zerind)

Those wheels look very simliar to the CSL wheels but they aren't quite there for me....

If i ever buy a E46 M3, those are the wheels that are going on it.

Modified by Gateway at 5:42 PM 11-16-2004

· Banned
38,788 Posts
Re: (rempel)

Quote, originally posted by rempel »
this looks like a crappy american verson of the CSL.
they still aren't importing the CLS right so i'll take it

Oh sorry, I thought they were . That would be the one to go for anyway.
Oh, and what's with the shifter ?

· Registered
7,694 Posts
Re: (J-Tim)

Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »

What's a price of the CSL over the regular M3 ?
THat's what I think I'd take instead.

Over here,...
REGULAR M3: £41,000 - $76,000 USD
M3 CSL: £62,000 - $113,000 USD
But then the M3 is only about £27,000 over in the US (lucky S.O.Bs) so not avery fair comparison. A friend of mine just picked up a used CSL for £46,995 but no idea on age or miles

· Banned
11,797 Posts
Re: All New Competition Package For The 2005 BMW M3 Coupe (zerind)

sort of off topic and i'm an idiot, but what is the difference between a normal m3 and the CSL? thanks feel free to IM me a reply so i don't cause anymore thread hi jacking http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,816 Posts
Re: (Mikedav)

Quote, originally posted by Mikedav »

Over here,...
REGULAR M3: £41,000 - $76,000 USD
M3 CSL: £62,000 - $113,000 USD
But then the M3 is only about £27,000 over in the US (lucky S.O.Bs) so not avery fair comparison. A friend of mine just picked up a used CSL for £46,995 but no idea on age or miles

Whats the tax rate on cars imported into the UK? Regulations? Why not import one from the states?

· Registered
7,694 Posts
Re: (sasha18T)

Quote, originally posted by sasha18T »

Whats the tax rate on cars imported into the UK?

17.5% VAT , equivelant to GST+state tax I think? BMWs We are in Europe so no major import duties...In all honesty I am not sure what causes the differential, but european built cars are always cheaper in the US and as far as I am aware you tax is quite similar when you add it all up? R32s were £21,000, you get em for £16,000...Jetta GLI, £13,000, Bora 1.8T, £18,500..etc etc
Quote »
Why not import one from the states?

Left hand drive, side markers (yuk!
), number plate recesses, fog lights, side lights...but in al honesty, not much. If you could order a RHD M3 from a US dealer it would be worth considering . Not sure what the import duty would be though. I wonder if we will get this performance pack here too...

Modified by Mikedav at 11:01 PM 11-16-2004

· Registered
8,816 Posts
Re: (Mikedav)

Quote, originally posted by Mikedav »

17.5% VAT , equivelant to GST+state tax I think? BMWs We are in Europe so no major import duties...I am not sure what causes the differential but european cars are always more here. R32s were £21,000, you get em for £16,000...Jetta GLI, £13,000, Bora 1.8T, £18,500..etc etc
Left hand drive, side markers (yuk!
), number plate recesses, fog lights, side lights...but in al honesty, not much. If you could order a RHD M3 from a US dealer it would be worth considering . Not sure what the import duty would be though. I wonder if we will get this performance pack here too...

Modified by Mikedav at 10:59 PM 11-16-2004

Totally forgot abot the LHD thing...I was gonna say business opportunity

Modified by sasha18T at 11:04 PM 11-16-2004

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.