VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Sorry, it's "TD1". It means the mothership has a reason to believe the car was modified, and they may attempt to deny warranty coverage for something that could have been affected by it. It would only be a concern if you had a powertrain issue during the warranty period that is covered. If your dealer is the one telling you won't have any issues, I would expect them to stump for you in the event there was a concern.
The VW dealer is only referring to APR Plus. That is probably the only version they sell.

I would *not* expect that. If you tune and are therefore flagged TD1, and something happens to the powertrain, it will be on you. The dealer may tell you there won't be any issues, but even the best dealers I have been to are not going to take one on the chin for you, because you can be sure VW isn't going to cover it.

That's the nice thing about APR+, in theory. Hopefully I never have to use it, but if the tune causes a problem in the powertrain, that warranty picks up the repair that VW would deny.
The VW dealer where I bought this R and two GTIs has always pushed the APR Plus tune. They tell me my warranty is still good, but payout would have to come directly from APR.

My original comment about reverting back to stock was because someone mentioned strange behavior in the trans after tuning. I find the stock tune in my R to have strange behavior. It never wants to kick-down unless I am at WOT. My MY16 GTI is very responsive.

@Arin: on your website it says the TCU flash is required for the DQ250 only for Stage2 ECU tune. Does that mean the DQ381 is fine without it when going for a high torque tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the stock tune in my R to have strange behavior. It never wants to kick-down unless I am at WOT. My MY16 GTI is very responsive.
I have a '19 R (DQ381) and '17 S3 (DQ250) here, both stage 1 + tcu. The DQ250 feels nice and sporty in the D setting; really it's exactly as I'd want for it to drive. The DQ381 tune, on the other hand, feels just a little different from stock when piddling around town. I've been on a beta TCU tune for a while now, and have been speaking to tech support to see if they can make a TCU tune that behaves more like the DQ250 one does. I still find the car downshifting and having the RPMs ~1500 on city streets and requiring more throttle input than I'd like to downshift in these circumstances.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
@Arin: on your website it says the TCU flash is required for the DQ250 only for Stage2 ECU tune. Does that mean the DQ381 is fine without it when going for a high torque tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The DQ381 is able to hold more torque without modification, so you'll only need it if you experience slipping, which most don't.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.