VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone know if anyone makes all-red tails... too many black cars have gone the smoked route... i like smoked but i can't just blend in... any ideas on if all red tails would even be functional?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: All Red Tails??? (ThreeDmax)

Well, they would be functional...they'd have to be. But amber signals look better and are more obvious as to their intention. I really dislike being behind a vehicle with red signals.

·
Registered
566 Posts

I was thinkin bout the same thing. You'd have to get clear jetta tails and paint them though, don't think anyone sells em. Or, if you have mad $$, you could do audi 90 tails
, but it'd be mad bodywork.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Re: All Red Tails??? (Euro Flavor)

Yeah go to your hobby/model shop and pic up some testors transparent red and some clear coat...I haven't done it, but A couple friends have on their mkIIs.
use a lot of clear coat to protect the red from fading/chipping
could probably use GL tails or those all clear tails and spray them
HTH

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: All Red Tails??? (Dieselboy)

Go out and buy the Folia Tec Tint spray, that stuff works the best. Ive done it, Im pretty sure a lot of people have seen my post of the messed up stock tails that I tinted red. You just need a lot of patience in order to do the tail mod with tint spray. Helpful Hint: Take your time, spary lightly, and one coat every hour.

·
Banned
26,608 Posts
Man I wish I woulda kept a copy of this as I have posted it here about 100 times

Okay tutorial:
take stock Gl/GLS tails. clean them really good.
scuff lightly with some scotchbright red.
mask off rubber gaskets/ seals.
use Tamayia " clear Red" model paint. one small bottle a light housing(4 total)
If you have an airbrush use it, or take to body shop pay painter 25 bucks to spray em.
have them spray the model paint, then clear over it with a Autobody Clear(just like on cars)
you will have factory looking tails that will last!
I did mine about 2 years ago, and they have held up with no issues on my car, and now on Gaki's car. through PNW rain and snow!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

I just painted my tails all red, it looks really intense dude. I used transparent PURPLE paint. That's right, PURPLE, if you use red, it comes out REALLY bright, and looks terrible, I used purple and it looks FANTASTIC. I just sprayed right over the headlight, and VIOLA! It's cool when I hit my backup lights, they are purple, it's cool.

·
Registered
Mk7 GTI/Audi A3 8P
13,998 Posts
Re: All Red Tails??? (98vwgti)

quote:[HR][/HR]i havent seen any around, however you could get clears (in.pro??) and red them w. that red tail paint....(yuk)
[HR][/HR]​

The half clear/half red are available from Hella...or is it In Pro, anyways you can get them. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by abt cup, 4:15 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Banned
26,608 Posts
Re: All Red Tails??? (abt cup)

Man I wish I woulda kept a copy of this as I have posted it here about 100
times

Okay tutorial:
take stock Gl/GLS tails. clean them really good.
scuff lightly with some scotchbright red.
mask off rubber gaskets/ seals.
use Tamayia " clear Red" model paint. one small bottle a light housing(4
total)
If you have an airbrush use it, or take to body shop pay painter 25 bucks to
spray em.
have them spray the model paint, then clear over it with a Autobody
Clear(just like on cars)
you will have factory looking tails that will last!
I did mine about 2 years ago, and they have held up with no issues on my
car, and now on Gaki's car. through PNW rain and snow!

·
Registered
23,230 Posts

those babies held up even after I sprinkled goo-gone on em because of tree jizz

For some reason.. the top half is actually brighter than the bottoms

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.