VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has taken some time with still a lot to go yet.

Last November I had the chance to see Yild's near perfect Mk1 at the A1 & A2 gtg ( Bonelli meet )

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ial-Bonelli-2010-Picture-Thread&daysprune=365

With further discussion about the sale of Yild's remarkable car it became clear that indeed the possibility of purchasing the rolling shell may actually become a reality. First of I needed to Investigate the import restrictions to bring the car to Australia, then the costs of doing so.

Finding out the actual date of construction was part of the process, older than 30 Yrs = No import duty

After many e-mails to Yild and a firm plan to buy the car the wheels were set in motion. Fast forward to May 10 and this was happening...

https://imgbb.com/

The beginning of the voyage..

I had notification from the shipping company my end that the car was now containerised and due to be loaded 06/10/2011 at Long Beach on NYK Athena

A quick check tonight and the ship has already continued to Oakland, shifted cargo and now enroute across the Pacific.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/de...2804000&zoom=10&olddate=6/12/2011 11:08:30 AM

Parts aquisition has already commenced....:thumbup:

·
Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,442 Posts
Fantastic news! That is a beautiful car and I am glad to see it going to a great new home.... albeit way far away. :sly: :D

Here's a video for ya:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
That is a far trip! Very cool you went through with importing it all the way from here. Should be a sweet build, looking forward to it :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,427 Posts

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Glad that worked out for you Grant. I feel bad for Yild as George made it his business to undermine the sale here, but at least the car found its way to a good new owner...too bad you didn't get the motor too. I look forward to seeing what you do in that department. :beer:

·
Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
24,107 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Grant, can't wait to see what you do with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Way to go Grant, can't wait till you start the build. How long till It gets to you??

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sean, car goes into a quarantine booth here where they fumigate the car agains all the nasties...

Charles, I only purchased the rolling shell as at the time I didnt know about the +30 yrs old = No duty situation, otherwise I would have taken Yild up on more of the parts on the car.

I must say a huge thanks to Yild and Dave for holding the car for me while all the paperwork was taken care of. Took 6 weeks to get the build certificate from the VW museum, Australian Gov't import license was another 6 week + wait also. The clowns here Luuurve their red tape !!

Athena is due in Singapore 06/26/11, then the container will be loaded onto a southern loop freighter for shipping to Fremantle, due around 07/1711

Sourced some NOS aircon parts and some replacement body items from VW Classic other stuff is on the way ;)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Chad, long way to go with this yet, had time at work to write up the parts list.... 2 x A4 pages...:banghead: likely to end up broke when its finished ..:laugh:

1 - 20 of 241 Posts