VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a bunch of bagged rabbits but none show where they installed the tank. Where the hell are they?

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: All these bagged A1's... where do they put the air tank?? (luxcar101)

I would think the only real place where you would have space is the hatch area. If you wanted to be more stealth and creative you could hide them elsewhere

·
Registered
11,806 Posts
Re: All these bagged A1's... where do they put the air tank?? (wantacad)

I havent actually seen many bagged A1. Maybe a Caddy and that NOPI Rabbit.
But yea best place might be the trunk or maybe the spare tire area unless you got rid of that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Many of the bagged rabbit's I've seen have been european. I can't imagnine all that weight in the trunk/hatch area. Anyone have any pics? It'll aid me in my project.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

Quote, originally posted by luxcar101 »
....I can't imagnine all that weight in the trunk/hatch area. Anyone have any pics? It'll aid me in my project.

That stuff would weigh in at practically nothing. That AirBag technology comes from here in the Good old USA and anyone selling this stuff has pictures of the pumps, valves, and tanks. 3 Years ago, all the Caddy owners in Europe were begging me to get prices on this AirBag stuff.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: All these bagged A1's... where do they put the air tank?? (fwdvw)

fwdvw said:
That stuff would weigh in at practically nothing...QUOTE]
That's odd b/c I keep hearing about how heavy this stuff is (installed and in use of course). WHat do you mean by that?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

Quote, originally posted by luxcar101 »
That's odd b/c I keep hearing about how heavy this stuff is (installed and in use of course). WHat do you mean by that?

This is a typical compressor and tank. Doesn't constitute much mass at all, especially a tank full of air.

There are also mechanically run compressors that run off the motor exactly like an A/C Compressor

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: All these bagged A1's... where do they put the air tank?? (fwdvw)

DO these things ruin handling? Are there any bag systems which are made with the intention of helping/not hurting the handling of a vehicle?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

I dont know if this guy was full of the crappola, but I talked to a goy recently with a mkiv and he said it handled better than his coilovers.
if thats the case I couldnt think of a better way to do a caddy

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
if you get the right system, that is designed for your suspension geometry, then you can get great handling, the people who bash these systems probably have never driven one, or been in one that wasn't done right.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: (duct-tape)

The ride is comfortable also. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Never really tried handling in one...The only one I have been in, was a S-10, and we stayed on the strip...
I would imagine though, that they would be pretty good, because you could control the pressure in the bags/cylinders, making them stiffer if needed, or softening them as needed...Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (protzler)

Quote, originally posted by protzler »
Never really tried handling in one...The only one I have been in, was a S-10, and we stayed on the strip...
I would imagine though, that they would be pretty good, because you could control the pressure in the bags/cylinders, making them stiffer if needed, or softening them as needed...Hmmmmm...

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. I know someone on here has had to have done this or knows someone who has and could verify the positive/negative effects on handling. Already I've learned that they don't weigh all that much. My drive way is very very steep (damn hills!) and I need to be able to get my rabbit in and out without smacking the bumpers on the ground. Bagging it seems like the only option.

Before I did this I wanted to double check the effect on weight and handling. Hmmmmmm is right...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: (protzler)

Quote, originally posted by protzler »

the ride is only comfortable if there is air in the bags, my buddy has a 70 chevy chyanne pickup on bags, when its slammed to the ground it sucks to ride in because its so bouncy, but when the bags are aired up its nice.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Re: (Legacy)

ive seen impreza's in i think scc mag and they were putting them to the test and they actually handled really well because of the rebound characteristics of the air bags http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Re: All these bagged A1's... where do they put the air tank?? (83 bunny)

How much does one of these systems run?
Can you somehow add extra stiffening for certain times?
I wonder if i could put one of these in then swap the struts out for Auto-x days (takes me a 1/2 hour to drop suspension) Hmmm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts