VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What paint / coloring agent did you use to do the job?
I'm thinking of doing my sidemarkers, and possibly my rears.
What did you use?
Thanks!
-Tim

·
Registered
322 Posts
same as corradokyd http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif i masked off my reverse lights while tinting but took the tape off while clearing...remember, veeeerrrryyyy light coats of the nyteshade or it will run and then look like ass. i used the heat gun to make it go off faster http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (termite)

I cleaned the lenses, sanded the whole lens lightly, cleaned again, tinted the tops with nightshades, and cleared the whole lens. I used 4 coats of tint and 3 clear.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (SilverSLC)

Prep with 400 grit to remove DOT crap.
Pre-paint prep with 600 grit.
PPG - Tinted clear base coat
PPG - Clear coat
Wet sand and buff.
Never understood "rattle canning" any part on a Corrado.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (SLC4EVER)

OK, so does everyone use polyurethane as the clearcoat? I've attempted this for the third time and just f'ed it up again. I had gotten the right amount of nightshades on it and cleared it with clear laquer. The laquer came out a little grainy so I decided to do just one more coat so I would have a thick enough clearcoat to buff it out. Well, when I put the next layer of clear on it the finish crackled like that special crinkle coat paint you can get.
So now I had to sand off the finish and start back at square one again!!
I'm going to go ballistic if I run out of nightshades and have to mail order another can for $20 (including shipping).
HELP!!
Any tips on buffing out the finish when it's done? (materials, tools, techniques)
I want mine to look like Coraddokyd's when they're done. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by VW KEVIN G, 7:23 PM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60
3,280 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (vr6init)

I used Testors Red Lense clear paint for models. Then I used the clear. Takes lots of time and patience. The advice given by others here is excellent. Fortunately, I had a cracked lense that I could practice on before I attempted on the ones currently mounted. And I still made a lot of mistakes.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (lnoriel)

I used Krylon clear coat. I know, I know, what the hell did I use that for. But it cost $2 and worked great. I did put the last coat of clear on pretty heavy and it began to get a BIG sag in it. I just layed it down flat and prayed it would go away. When I looked at it an hour later the sag was gone and it looked great.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (Ome Roon)

quote:[HR][/HR]He uses some special mixture of paint which you can wax like the rest of your car and even if it looks really dark it lets throught plenty of light; even the reflectors still work fine.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, it's call Automotive paint. The same paint a body shop uses...
Nothing special about it...PPG tinted clear base coat with clear top coat.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (SLC4EVER)

AMEN SLC4EVER I dont know how many times I have told people how to do it right, its on my web page and all.. yet everytime I post a how to I get the same thing, a god blessed post right below it like I didnt even just tell them how to do it the only totally safe and long lasting way to do it right. My way same as SLC`s wont fall off or fade till the paint on your car does. I am well aware caps means yelling so here we go GO TO MY SITE AND CHECK IT OUT OR FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS POSTED. Pay attention people, thats the one thing I notice in the Raddo forum worse than any other, people walk around like one of those poor blind dogs running into walls, except here people just blatantly ignore the answer to their question sheeesh. Sorry to sound harsh... but the topics been covered a million times, the search works, and in just about everyone of my posts you will see my instructions being ignored
So come on people actually read more that just the 1st post before you respond.
Heres a pic, they are darker now

Kyle

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (BlackieVR6)

Gee guys....
thanks.
Or something.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe I ALREADY read all of the other posts on this? I'm a little smarter than your average monkey. I love how everyone on here just assumes that because you ask a question that you're a total moron. Maybe I just wanted to start a little more discussion on the topic?
Blackie, I've read your site. This is why this post was specifically about DIY. I asked what people who had done their own had used. I'm more than well aware that I could go to a paind shop and pay someone to do it for me.
Sorry I asked.
Sheesh.
To those that helped out, thanks.
To the others, you don't have to read or post about stuff, you know.
-Tim

[Modified by SilverSLC, 7:37 PM 4-13-2002]

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (SilverSLC)

Tim, Sorry to come off harsh... I just dont like the fact more so of other people just posting oh I used nightshades... no how to, no where to get the stuff, none of that. I just wish people would actually help someone out instead of just posting yea this is what I used....... and leave it at that. As for the way shop way, you yourself can do this so long as you can use a rattle can, its the same technique
. Sears has a detailing gun that is super cheap like $30. Pick one up and the required materials from your local shop, practice on a similar material and go for it. In the end you get yourself one heck of a nice job that you will get alot of compliments on and you can say yea I did that. Having a shop do it is not expensive at all, but I did another set for myself just cause I like to do things when Im bored. Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit harsh, we all have our PMS moments. Now go out and have some fun

Kyle

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: All you guys with tinted/smoked lenses... (BlackieVR6)

Hey man, no problem.
I get pissy too fast sometimes, too.
This IS something that (if I do end up deciding to do it at all) I would want to do myself, but I'd want to do it well - I'll certainly look in to places to get the paint from around here.
-Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.