VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
I suppose the rated fuel economy is slightly disappointing (30 mpg hwy seems low?), but I'm happy about the larger fuel tank. I may be able to squeeze out the same overall mpg and range that I get in my current Golf, but in a larger, more capable AWD car...and with regular fuel.

I wonder if that rating is for the DSG car specifically?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
No 2.0 or TDI, no thanks.

Other thoughts, it would look really nice if they lowered it back down to the standard height.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The larger fuel tank is a big plus for the SEL. Also sounds like the 4motion software is improved with some predictive systems, similar to Mazda CX-5. Glad to see more official photos too. I thought that it was going to be an electronic parking brake though(?) I thought earlier photos showed that. Would have been nice to have more real estate in the center console. Also really want some photos of Marrakesh Brown interior.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Really? Manual available in 2017 with AWD just what we have been waiting for!

I had to read this twice but it looks like VW has been listening. We all wish it had a TDI but don't ask for too much. Why won't they do the manual on the SEL trim?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Who is going to be the first person to see if the larger tank on the Alltrack will fit the FWD GSW without much hassle? I would LOVE a larger tank in this thing.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I suppose the rated fuel economy is slightly disappointing (30 mpg hwy seems low?), but I'm happy about the larger fuel tank. I may be able to squeeze out the same overall mpg and range that I get in my current Golf, but in a larger, more capable AWD car...and with regular fuel.

I wonder if that rating is for the DSG car specifically?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
To answer my own question...the "Specs" document on that news site appears to refer only to the DSG. As far as I can tell, the gas mileage rating and 184 vs. 199 torque with the 6-speed manual transmission are not yet confirmed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
and it's rated at 22/30 mpg
That's plain crap.

An Outback is larger and higher and naturally aspirated and beats it.
I thought it would be down 1-2 mpg over a GSW. Hopefully real-world is better, b/c if people can't break 30 mpg in an Alltrack, it doesn't seem that competitive. Desperately needs a TDI, it seems.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hahahaha 22/30??? If my own experience any indication those numbers are a ... how can i be PC about this????.... Ohh i see how.... ROUGHT ESTIMATE TRENDING UP. Yeah like that ;)

So real world numbers will be 18/26??

·
Registered
350 Posts
In addition to the standard foglights and LED Daytime Running Lights (all trims)

Cool that the S trim will still have LED DRLs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
22/30 fuel economy? A 4-5 mpg hit for AWD and raised chassis appears to be a bit excessive. Maybe it makes sense for the snow belt but for most buyers the regular GSW is a better choice.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Meh of all the lying and cheating VW has been caught doing lately they still tend to be very conservative with fuel economy ratings and unlike many brands users often see higher than rated economy from them.
Yeah like totally NOT! It was indeed the case for TDI but we all know the reason behind it.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Yeah like totally NOT! It was indeed the case for TDI but we all know the reason behind it.
Actually the cheating has only a tiny bit to do with the fuel economy and why people can exceed it on a TDI. While some hardware changes may be needed to certain catalysts in the system something like urea injection is based on fuel used, VW can increase the injection rate from say 1.5% to 2% (no clue what the actual or needed rate is/will be) and that will change the actual fuel economy by nothing at all since it is post combustion and an after treatment. So no "we" don't know the reason behind it.

Almost every GTI and golf owner I know personally is exceeding the self tested fuel economy numbers published by VW. I did a ~1300 mile trip in a GTI and got just shy of 40mpg. A coworker has a 1.8t golf that exceeds the figures as well.

But many manufactures have been caught cheating on fuel economy figures, since it is self reported it is kind of easy, VW while cheaters elsewhere has never been caught doing that as far as I recall. They have been conservative for years when it comes to fuel economy ratings.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've easily exceeded EPA estimates for highway figures on every 1.8T VW I've rented in the past couple years (Passat, Jetta, Beetle) so hopefully the Alltrack can do better than 30.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not gonna say a thing about freeway cruising on the mostly flat surface. Indeed it is better than EPA 35mpg. No issue.
However, i feel based on my personal experience thus far, that lower end is claimed higher than it really is for the around town type driving. Also, any moderate uphill going drops economy through the roof to the floor. I seen 38 to 18MPG drop going same speed when there was a slight uphill. Maybe this is limited to my car only, and i hope it is. But so far 1.8T Gen3 economy was nothing but disappointment to me.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Not gonna say a thing about freeway cruising on the mostly flat surface. Indeed it is better than EPA 35mpg. No issue.
However, i feel based on my personal experience thus far, that lower end is claimed higher than it really is for the around town type driving. Also, any moderate uphill going drops economy through the roof to the floor. I seen 38 to 18MPG drop going same speed when there was a slight uphill. Maybe this is limited to my car only, and i hope it is. But so far 1.8T Gen3 economy was nothing but disappointment to me.
I thought it was the same person.

On 8/12 you posted that you had only about 400 miles and had the car a few weeks. it is now exactly 1 month later. what do you have 1000? 1200 miles on the car? You do according to some quick math on another tank you ran through about 10% of highway driving.

I realize that you are not getting the mileage you thought, but you see to be in no way representative of someone who is using their vehicle like most others. Your car isn't even broken in yet.

Personally I'd refrain from blanket comments about the horrible fuel economy when you don't even have a good sample to make a judgement of your own particular vehicle yet. You certainly didn't at only 400 miles when you started complaining.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts