VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to change the timing belt...and now i cant get the damn pulley off! it the pulley next to the water pump pulley. icant get the damn cover all the way off and i cant get the new belt on. its only 3 allen key bolts right? what size? anyone have this problem before and whats the easiet way to get this off?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: (secondwind)

yes it is neccesary to replace the head bolts when re-installing the head.
what pulley? crank pulley or ps? either way, once the bolts are alen head bolts are off that hold them on, just wiggle them off, try tapping arond the outside with a mallet, may loosen them up some for ya.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would it be fine if i dont change the bolts? i dont have to money for them right now. will it still let water and coolant through if they are not changed?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

check them for having stretched, i beleive it's shown in the bentley. i've heard of people re-using them, but i wouldn't reccomend it, it's a gamble.
the allen heads stripped or what?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

heat them if you want, tap the bit in there good, and have a 12pt 8mm handy, they fit in there great (with hammer) and get them stripped/stuck ones out every time for me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so just put a 12 point in there on a ratchet and itll be good? i have no means of heating them up
i wish i hade some pb blaster right abuot now........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts