VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
41,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find attendance numbers for 2008 and possibly 2009, does anybody know where I can find these numbers?
I have looked at Road AMerica's site, as well as ALMS to no avail.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (.:RDriver)

Quote, originally posted by .:RDriver »
Not sure where to find the numbers, but can say that it seemed VERY down from last year.

For sure down, I think the morning rain forecasts scared people a bit. It wasn't though as bad as you may think.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (patrikman)

Would Road America release the number to any "joe" over the phone or email?
I was there Fri-Sunday. The Saturday crowd was really disappointing. The Sunday crowd seemed like really late arrivers. My fingers were crossed for a decent attendance to insure an ALMS return for years to come. I attended the ALMS weekend at Road America since the first year here (2001?). It is the greatest highlight of the year to me. Nothing beats it.
I have many videos and pictures that I working on editing/uploading. I will post them in TCL this week.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (redwe-in-wi)

Quote, originally posted by redwe-in-wi »
Would Road America release the number to any "joe" over the phone or email?

That's a big negative.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (redwe-in-wi)

Quote, originally posted by redwe-in-wi »
I attended the ALMS weekend at Road America since the first year here (2001?). It is the greatest highlight of the year to me. Nothing beats it.

Would you care to elaborate on what makes it such a special weekend? My girlfriend wants us to fly out and watch an ALMS race somewhere other than Laguna Seca and Long Beach next year, and I'm intrigued by Road America (B.S. Levy's books always made it sound like a good vacation spot).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (.:RDriver)

Quote, originally posted by .:RDriver »
Not sure where to find the numbers, but can say that it seemed VERY down from last year.

What he said. In fact, if the ALMS is basing their decision to return to RA in 2010 on this year's attendance, I wouldn't expect them back.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (greychinchilla)

Been the last three years running our Formula BMW's and this year it was super dead. On the other hand Miller and Lime Rock as well as the Toronto Indy were not well attended either and VIR was ok, Sign of the times.

·
41,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (coneracer)

I really hope there is a race nect year. I don't have the means to go anywhere else just to see ALMS.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Quote, originally posted by patrikman »
I really hope there is a race nect year. I don't have the means to go anywhere else just to see ALMS.

Well if every events' attendance has been hurting this year; hopefully the percieved low number at Road America will be less hurtful for a future ALMS return(s). ALMS has been at RA every year since 2001. Could they find a better venue to replace Road America with? We hear nothing but raving from teams, radio lemans, and tv about this track. Or do they drool over every venue when they are speaking from it?
I would be disappointed if ALMS did not return to my favorite, and home track.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts

I honestly do not think that RA would be in danger of losing the ALMS. If anything the ALMS will have issues in general depending entries. If there is an ALMS, I would not worry about them being at RA.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (MileZ)

Quote, originally posted by MileZ »

Would you care to elaborate on what makes it such a special weekend? My girlfriend wants us to fly out and watch an ALMS race somewhere other than Laguna Seca and Long Beach next year, and I'm intrigued by Road America (B.S. Levy's books always made it sound like a good vacation spot).

Yeah but if you are flying to an ALMS race, you are obviously going to Petit Le Mans at the other RA no?

·
41,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: ALMS Road America attendance (chois)

Quote, originally posted by chois »

Yeah but if you are flying to an ALMS race, you are obviously going to Petit Le Mans at the other RA no?

that's Road Atlanta and it is not in the same caliber of course as Road America.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

Quote, originally posted by patrikman »

that's Road Atlanta and it is not in the same caliber of course as Road America.

Really? They are different for sure, but Road Atlanta sure impressed the hell out of me when I raced on it last fall. It definitely is a bit more hairy chested, though less so after they took out the gravity cavity.
Besides, we're talking about going to an event, not a track. No ALMS race is the same caliber as Petit - not even Sebring IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts