VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pump does not prime when the key is put into the run position.

i have power at the knock box, the ecu, and the icm.

the fuel pump relay is functional, and grounds through the knock box for the 88 16v cis-e configuration.

what would cause the knock box to not allow the fuel pump to run?

i have checked continuity between all the sensor inputs and everything checks out. I went through that part with my brother in law who is a trained mechanic, he couldn't figure it out either.

I'm currently at college i'm going to work on the car when i go home at the end of the week, and i'd like to get it running on cis-e like i originally planned because it's literally all put together it just wont start.

the trouble shooting i did with the Bentley led me to believe the knock box was bad. i replaced that and it's still not working.

additional info, the fuel pump did prime the first few times i tried to start the car, then it quit working, and i have a junk yard tachometer from a 4cyl Porsche hooked up. Other than than that the cis-e is wired into the mk1 wiring per this power supply diagram

Anyway,any input/help you can give will help me not be one of those people who starts a motor swap and never gets it finished, i really miss driving my mk1 :( and i'm looking forward to getting to enjoy a 16v for the first time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
my mk1 OE fuel pump primes when cranking, no pre prime. If you have someone turn the key and go listen to the pump, does it make noise?

I have a 9a 16v swap that was running CIS basic. essentially, no knock box so only rev'd to 5000k.

Rarely, the relay would be "loose". I would take it out, clean it and put back in. then it fired.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mk1 OE fuel pump primes when cranking, no pre prime. If you have someone turn the key and go listen to the pump, does it make noise?

I have a 9a 16v swap that was running CIS basic. essentially, no knock box so only rev'd to 5000k.

Rarely, the relay would be "loose". I would take it out, clean it and put back in. then it fired.
well i have an update, the PO crimped/soldered then covered a ground with duct tape, the ground wire cracked all but one strand, it would pass continuity checks, most of the time...:facepalm::banghead: well i fixed that and now the fuel pump prime cycle works :eek:

check the resistance on the coil and secondary resistance is out of spec, i have new coil on order now.

Also 75-77 rabbits do not have a load reduction relay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts