VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about it. Show me it. Brag to me about it. I absolutely need one of these in my life but am nervous of typical jeep quality. Every since I saw the prototype I knew it was a Jeep I needed. So classy, elegant, tough, functional.

I'll take one in white please.

· Registered
30,137 Posts
Was in NC in September. Neighbor had a new Grand Wagoneer. I asked if he ever thought he'd spend $100k on a vehicle. Said his wife bought it. Thought it was around $85k. Nice vehicle.

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was in NC in September. Neighbor had a new Grand Wagoneer. I asked if he ever thought he'd spend $100k on a vehicle. Said his wife bought it. Thought it was around $85k. Nice vehicle.
The ones I've specced are in the$110-115 but yes, that is the gist of it

They sure look nice, and I'll bet they're comfortable, but haven't they kind of become a status-mobile?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
I'd say that's accurate, but then, the grand wagoneer even in the 80s and 90s was exactly that as well. Will I be hitting Moab with it? Heck no. Will I be putting to work on Blizzards? Yep.

· Banned
1,912 Posts
I'd say that's accurate, but then, the grand wagoneer even in the 80s and 90s was exactly that as well. Will I be hitting Moab with it? Heck no. Will I be putting to work on Blizzards? Yep.
Well hey, if you've got the scratch, go for it.

I might suggest you consider a lease first, just be sure it falls entirely inside your bumper-to-bumper warranty. That way you get to live with it for a while and see what it's like, before committing to buy it. If it sucks, you can get out at the end of the lease. Or even before, I suppose.

· Registered
14,197 Posts
They’re a bit too ugly in the rear for me. You’ve been able to get them with discounts for a while though so that’s nice.

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well hey, if you've got the scratch, go for it.

I might suggest you consider a lease first, just be sure it falls entirely inside your bumper-to-bumper warranty. That way you get to live with it for a while and see what it's like, before committing to buy it. If it sucks, you can get out at the end of the lease. Or even before, I suppose.
Excellent suggestion that I hadn't considered; thank you

They’re a bit too ugly in the rear for me. You’ve been able to get them with discounts for a while though so that’s nice.
Great input on the discounts!

· Premium Member
Luft und Wasser
286 Posts
I like how they made just the base Wagoneer still look classy and substantial, but sh:t they start at $60K, and can be optioned up to $90K, that's before you even look at the Grand Wagoneer. Yeah there is a lot of world-class luxury and tech, but it's just surprising how many people can apparently afford these giant expensive gas guzzling luxury trucks. Will they ever be considered on the same level as Mercedes or Land Rover, who knows.

· Registered
12,516 Posts
I like how they made just the base Wagoneer still look classy and substantial, but sh:t they start at $60K, and can be optioned up to $90K, that's before you even look at the Grand Wagoneer. Yeah there is a lot of world-class luxury and tech, but it's just surprising how many people can apparently afford these giant expensive gas guzzling luxury trucks. Will they ever be considered on the same level as Mercedes or Land Rover, who knows.
There are a lot of places in middle America where a high end American SUV is considered classy, and a German or other import is considered flashy and gauche.

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They're so bad, I don't know how you could pay so much for something so poorly assembled.
Oh no. Tell me more... Most of the reviews I've read Mark them as notable
Elegant, feature rich, robust... McIntosh sound lol. Capable of towing, people carrying and to be frank, I've loved every generation of
Wagoneer and I'm finally old enough and at a financial point that I can own one. My uncle had a 1990s era v8 (alongside his new Corvette) even I was a child and it was breathtaking at the time. I'm not a Jeep boy in the least but the wagoneer does something to me

• Love
Reactions: PLF8593

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last sentence, great question. That's why I'm hoping for some real world input

There are a lot of places in middle America where a high end American SUV is considered classy, and a German or other import is considered flashy and gauche.
I'm eurotrash through and through but have huge respect for the yuppie history associated with the wagoneer

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only one I’ve seen in my neighborhood, the owner also has a Stelvio and Touareg V10 TDI, so I am assuming it takes a very high pain tolerance to own one. 💀
Sold the touareg a few months ago - I think I'm a recovering addict. Maybe not? 🤔

· Registered
8,849 Posts
I've loved every generation of
Wagoneer and I'm finally old enough and at a financial point that I can own one. My uncle had a 1990s era v8 (alongside his new Corvette) even I was a child and it was breathtaking at the time.
There are only 2 generations of big Wagoneers. The original one and this one. Then there were XJ Wagoneers that gave rise to calling the full-size one “Grand”

I like full-size SUVs and I really want to love the new Wagoneers, but they aren’t trucky enough for me. The worst thing about the rear end is that it doesn’t have a rear bumper that can be stood on.

· Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are only 2 generations of big Wagoneers. The original one and this one. Then there were XJ Wagoneers that gave rise to calling the full-size one “Grand”

I like full-size SUVs and I really want to love the new Wagoneers, but they aren’t trucky enough for me. The worst thing about the rear end is that it doesn’t have a rear bumper that can be stood on.
The XJ wagoneers were pretty darn cool also.

That's fair on the not trucky enough part, I have enough trucks though. An SUV like this would feel a great itch and niche though

1 - 20 of 78 Posts