VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to figure out which alternator I need for my 81 diesel. It's a non A/C, non power steering car and I want to make sure I am getting the right one, but both the AL25X and AL26X are listed for models without A/C, both 65A alternators. Insight appreciated..

· Registered
7,354 Posts
Re: Alternator? AL25X vs AL26X Bosch? (Pre95)

I don't know why there would be two numbers. Sure one is not 65 amps, and the other, 55 amps?
The pulley offset is a critical dimension, and should be ok if both are listed for non-AC.
The harness socket is also critical, for obvious reasons.
You could also use a mk2 alternator from a car WITH AC. Same offset, 95 amps, but has posts for a single cable hookup; that's a better way to go, but it will take a little time to rig the harness since it is single instead of double. There are tons of these alternators in junkyards and they work on may types of vehicle, even tractors.

Modified by chickenfriend at 7:24 PM 7-15-2009

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Alternator? AL25X vs AL26X Bosch? (chickenfriend)

Nah, they were both 65A, didnt mention anything about the pulley spacing. I tracked down the AL26M which is designated for models with a 2" spacer behind the pulley (which mine has). Got her in the mail now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.