VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having some charging issues w/ my gti. basically if its not doing 3k or more its not charging. I have grounded the alternator to the engine and the engine to the battery w/ 6 ga wire w/ crimp terminals. I am making good contact with everything. I cleaned the alternator plug w/ deoxit and a brass brush so there is no corrosion on it. I am getting battery voltage at the 2 bigger terminals, and only 10.4 ish on the b+ terminal. I tried to get the cluster out to clean any corrosion, but i couldn't get my arm up there to unscrew the speedo cable from behind the cluster. My alternator belt is good and tight. I'm running out of ideas unless 10.4v isn't enough to excite the alternator, or the alternator is bad, or the battery is bad. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Re: alternator question, searched (thegimpster)

Quote, originally posted by thegimpster »
i couldn't get my arm up there to unscrew the speedo cable from behind the cluster.

Sometimes removing the plastic pipe between the airbox and the side vent helps. Just twist it a little to pull it out.
I assume that is a stock alternator with the two spade terminals for the two-wire output to battery. I think the third wire should be "D+", which is the exciter wire.
Give the exciter wire an examination to see that it is not damaged. Sometimes it gets nicked and the strands get frayed.
I think you should be getting better than battery voltage at the terminals when charging, about 2 volts extra or so.

Modified by chickenfriend at 11:53 PM 9-12-2008

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Re: alternator question, searched (thegimpster)

I have had to remove the terminals from the plug before and used new connectors to the alternator. Those connectors can be very corroded on the inside

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: alternator question, searched (chickenfriend)

I have battery voltage coming to the big terminals, so i'm not loosing anything ther, it is just from the b+ terminal i'm not getting a full 13 volts. I thought about running a switched power wire to it to make sure it was getting full voltage and trying that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.