VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my battery ~two months ago, so i don't think it could be the battery. Heres what it sounds like... when i turn the key its kind of a relatively high pitched grinding noise, no cranking, could it be that my starter? i don't think my alternator has anything to do with it....
here are some stats...
1. 86,000 miles
2.sparkplugs changed @ 50,000
3. battery changed in Nov-Dec of 2003.
so should i swap in a new starter or get it towed to the dealer and have then run a diagnostic for 90, charge me 2 hours of labour @85hr and XXX for the parts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Re: Alternator Vs Starter? (Kwan1)

def a starter problem if it isn't tunring over then ur gear isn't engaging the flywheel and could be somethin wrong with the solenoid as well but it def sounds like a starter problem....if u wanna go the cheap way get it rebuilt normally all u have to do is replace the brushes in the starter and it should work again but if it was me i would just get a new starter that has a waranty on it.....p.s. don't by it from the dealer they will rip u 2 or 3 new ones!
good luck
-Adam

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: Alternator Vs Starter? (Kwan1)

sounds like the starter. if it was the solenoid, the strater wouldn't even try to crank because the signal wouldn't get to the starter.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Alternator Vs Starter? (imola_monster)

it makes a prolonged high pitch noise until i decide to let go of the key, what exactly is the solenoid's function??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts