VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Rabbit
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit (I'm the original owner), and I just had to replace its alternator at about 85,000 miles. I'm curious what the normal lifespan for an OEM alternator is for a MK5 Golf/Rabbit?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sometimes it's just to luck of the draw, sorry to say. Probably more to do with age than mileage. Alternators have a regulator in them which often is the culprit. Electronics don't fail by mileage like mechanical stuff, they generally fail from power on/off cycles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit (I'm the original owner), and I just had to replace its alternator at about 85,000 miles. I'm curious what the normal lifespan for an OEM alternator is for a MK5 Golf/Rabbit?
The alternator in my 2008 Rabbit Mk 5 2.5 started to get weak after 140K miles. The signs were a battery light at low idle, cruise control intermittently not turning on and the warning lights showing various, intermittent lights burned out when they weren't. Although I could have gotten a lower price, I chose to spend a little more at NAPA for a remanufactured one with a lifetime warranty. All of the problems immediately disappeared and I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try FCP Euro you can buy a new or rebuilt for less money and get lifetime. Napa is almost always more expensive for VW parts.
I agree. FCP Euro are excellent to deal with. Unfortunately, NAPA had the part on the shelf and I would have had to wait for at least a few days to get the part from FCP Euro.

FCP Euro has saved me a lot of money with their "just-as-good-as" parts and their help online. I've bought most of my parts from them than anywhere else. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
I agree. FCP Euro are excellent to deal with. Unfortunately, NAPA had the part on the shelf and I would have had to wait for at least a few days to get the part from FCP Euro.

FCP Euro has saved me a lot of money with their "just-as-good-as" parts and their help online. I've bought most of my parts from them than anywhere else. I highly recommend them.
You own a VW get use to waiting for parts and have a 2nd handy;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts