VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my turbo on my mk4 AEG and I removed the secondary air injection system. Since I am using the standard cast iron manifold the secodary injection holes are open in the head. I am not sure what to use to plug them safely.
I've already machined and aluminum inlet flange and a steel discahrge flange for my turbo. I want to make a 1/8" "gasket" of sorts to go in between the manifold and the head. I've got it tooled up, just trying to decide what material to make it in. Aluminum would be easiest for my CNC and it would be quick. I've got shelves of aluminum on hand
I've heard, and thrown some #'s around and it doesn't seem like Aluminum is the best thing to use in the application. I'd do steel but it will take forever to machine. I am thinking it will be just fine since the head is aluminum I figure why not? Exhaust gasses will be flying by it and most of the heat will be absorbed by the turbocharger.
Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2,356 Posts
Re: Aluminum & exhaust side components - any experience? (2kjettaguy)

make it out of phenolic material to keep your turbo cooler, however i know sombody already makes it so you might as well just buy one. By the way you said you made a steel exhaust flange? i hope you made really big clearances for your bolts or have 6 seperate flanges.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Re: Aluminum & exhaust side components - any experience? (Vr6Fidelity)

for those holes...
just use screw heads....
Cutthem off of a screw with a head diameter 1/32nd or so larger than the hole.
Tap them in with a hammer so that they stay put. Then you justtorque themanifold down and the screws should sink in nice and tight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts