VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: always use your jackstands (ShavedRabbit)

that's horrible
There was a time when I ran into this guy showing his son how to change breaks with no jack stands....sitting under wheel well with the wheel on the side of the jack.
I ended up being the bad guy, I told his son that his father is a cheap skate (Floor jacks are what? $10-20) and moron.
Even WITH jack stands I like to have a friend with me when I'm under the car.

· Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: always use your jackstands (Lankyleo)

Quote, originally posted by Lankyleo »
wow, wonder how the idiot who turned the jack handle came to grip with that

You mean WILL deal with it for the rest of his life.
That was really unfortunate, the guy didn't intend to do that (obviousely) and probably did it as more of a instinct while talking rather then anything else.

· Registered
22,045 Posts
Re: always use your jackstands (VdubChaos)

Quote, originally posted by VdubChaos »
that's horrible
There was a time when I ran into this guy showing his son how to change breaks with no jack stands....sitting under wheel well with the wheel on the side of the jack.
I ended up being the bad guy, I told his son that his father is a cheap skate (Floor jacks are what? $10-20) and moron.

you arent really the bad guy, hopefully him and his father will heed your advice and wont have a car drop on them anytime soon. if your too lazy for jackstands i doubt you are paying attentiont to proper jack points

· Registered
21,827 Posts

That is sad.
I do my own work, too. My rule:
1) Humans are stupid.
2) I am human.
3) Ramps, (2) jackstands, (1) hydraulic jack, wheel chocks, safty glasses, never engine on, someone home with me to check every ~5 minutes. I only take ~20 minutes to change oil.
I see a lot of people use those hydraulic jacks ALONE. I don't like them because you can release them in the same knob you use to crank them. You would think with our litigious society, someone would have outlawed them years ago. I use the cheaper, smaller kind that you need to move the crank rod to the release knob to lower. Heck... I REMOVE the crank and lay it aside, too.

· Registered
60,741 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ShavedRabbit »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RWJGE9JQA
be safe out there

This was posted here recently and I recall saying it looked staged. Unfortunately, I can't find this thread again. Damn search function.

· Registered
5,729 Posts
Re: FV-QR (BoBoJoe)

That's like my worst nightmare, and almost brings me to tears to see that.

This is another reason why I put my spare wheels as well as jackstands under the car when I'm working. I can not imagen hearing my brother crying for help as the car is crushing him.

· Registered
4,239 Posts
Re: FV-QR (BoBoJoe)

Quote, originally posted by BoBoJoe »
It does look staged...it appears he tried to turn the lever.

as opposed to him just leaning on it and just like how you twiddle your thumbs or swing your legs, he twisted the lever unintentionally...
doesn't look staged to me at all

· Registered
19,997 Posts
Re: always use your jackstands (VdubChaos)

Quote, originally posted by VdubChaos »
that's horrible

You couldn't make your point without belittling the guy in front of his kid?

· Registered
5,692 Posts
Re: FV-QR (mkIVrflxsilver)

Quote, originally posted by mkIVrflxsilver »

as opposed to him just leaning on it and just like how you twiddle your thumbs or swing your legs, he twisted the lever unintentionally...
doesn't look staged to me at all

Look at the guy that lowered the jack. He looks under the car. I think 99% of the people in here would grab the back bumper and help try and lift the car off the guy. In a panic situation, I think a natural reaction would be to try and lift the car. Not kneel down with your hand on your head, like "whoops"
That's just me though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.