VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang SVO!!!

I remember eying these back in HS, when everyone else wanted 5.0's.
Yeah, yeah, the turbo 4 sounds like crap compared to the V-8. But, because there was less weight on the front end and koni adjustable dampers on 4 corners, these things were supposed to handle well. Plus, 200hp/240tq from that intercooled turbocharged 2.3L. What's not to like :laugh:

Saw this one on Craigslist, which reignited my interest.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2478620710.html

Archived Car & Driver review from 1985
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...etta_vs._ford_mustang_svo-archived_comparison

unfortunately, I'll never be able to convince my wife that we need one of these in the garage, so it's merely a pipedream.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The answer to your question... NO. The svo is a sick vehicle, and very easy to build up.

·
Registered
25,335 Posts
The pump is for inflatable side bolster.

SVO Mustang is my favorite Mustang of all time.

Also a big fan of Merkur XR4ti... same engine and transmission as SVO Mustang but with IRS and Euro Ford Sierra body.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think you're crazy, but I would never want that car.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts

What's with the penis pump on the seat? Standard eq on the 4 bang mustang?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
FV-QR

Bah, give me a LS1 notch, a T56 and a road racing suspension, 10th anniversary cobra wheels and some recaros and I'll run low 11's at 120s and be a road monster. Honestly a turbo 4 iron block will weigh as much as the aluminum LS with a plastic manifold. I love me some foxes.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
am i crazy for wanting them to twin turbo the current mustang v6 and make a new SVO? that being said, the old SVO is a kick ass car, and i HATE mustangs.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I thought you were talking about a NORMAL N/A 4 cylinder fox body mustang.

If you were...then yes.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,710 Posts
I was going to say that unless the car in question was an SVO, then yes, you'd be crazy. Glad to see it's the SVO you're after.

I remember climbing all over these as a kid when they were new. I always thought they were cool cars and until very recently, liked them more than the more common GT models. Though, if they were to do something special with a 4-cyl turbo in a current Mustang, like a mkII SVO, I'd probably be into that.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Back in the early 90's, I had a 1979 Mustang with a 4 cylinder in it. It was a p.o.s car I bought for 300 bucks. The speaker grills on the dashboard were punched out and the previous owner used them as ash trays. It was bad.

I got a new dashboard and a bunch of other interior parts from an old Mercury Capri I found in a junkyard, got a super-cheap black paint job at one of those Earl Scheib bodyshops...and had a '92 5.0 in it.

It was one of the most fun cars I ever owned, until a cabby in Times Square ran a red light and hit me so hard I did a 180.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts