VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think so!

So the girl said I could do a few more parts for this spring summer and the parts I want I have been striking out on.

This is what I had approval on for this season;

BBK, although this wasn't a strike out I will just do it next winter.
OE Votex front lip for the facelift, good luck getting that in a timely manner
RS3 grill, same as front lip but for $1k and not 100% sure it would fit seems risky. Needs more research.

Well I turned the tables and managed to get the 'OK' for air a year or so early. So my plan is to be bagged by Wuste at the end of May.

Proposed kit:

Airlift Performance fronts
Airlift double bellow rears
Dual Viair 444c's
Single 5 gallon tank
3/8" line all around (probable reduce the rear if its jumpy/fast)

Now this is what I can't decide on is Switchspeed or V2. I contemplated E-level but its not in the budget this year, I have a new house that needs a back yard that still needs to be completed.

All installation will be in the spare tire well with nothing exposed so besides the switch in the center console it will look OEM.

Anyways, here is a rough timeline of my car so far..

The way home from Sacromento, bought it from Niello Audi new w/ 7 miles on it June 2012.

Arrival home

First items were removing 4x4 status with some ST's, window tint and front filler plate.

Then tried some different wheels

Took it to a show or 2..

Did a little paint on the engine cover and did a little modding to get a MK5/6 TDI Carbonio to fit.

and to where it sits now

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This weekend we are planning on setting the car up on jack stands and getting everything prepped, probably pulling the coilovers and everything in the hatch out.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
last wheels are bests

kinda wondering why i bought rotors instead of vmr's...i guess i'll wait to see once i mount this we

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Nice! I'd love to go air at some point. I'll be saving up my pennies until I can afford the E-Level...which might be a while :(

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Can't wait to see it all!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
car looks great overall as is...will look even better with air:thumbup:

looking forward to your continued build

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
last wheels are bests

kinda wondering why i bought rotors instead of vmr's...i guess i'll wait to see once i mount this we
I think the last are the best too, I am really glad I went with the VMR's over my other choices

Nice! I'd love to go air at some point. I'll be saving up my pennies until I can afford the E-Level...which might be a while :(
That was my plan too. Save, save and save until I had exactly what I wanted. I think I will be just as happy with the V2 though, its not my daily driver. I see E-level being perfect for some one that uses their car on a daily basis since its so efficient.

Looks good man. I'm curious to see how you fit everything in the spare wheel well! :thumbup::thumbup:
I like how this guy did his except I will be using a single tank. Guess we will see, worst case scenario is the tank will be mounted where its visible.

Can't wait to see it all!
Thanks! :beer::beer:

car looks great overall as is...will look even better with air:thumbup:

looking forward to your continued build

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
This weekend we are planning on setting the car up on jack stands and getting everything prepped, probably pulling the coilovers and everything in the hatch out.
skip the air and save your money for a rainy day. car looks perfect as is. no need for bbk

·
Registered
A3 & Exige
17,613 Posts
Current setup actually looks the best IMO. Still don't get the whole air ride fad, personally a fan of static cars.

·
Registered
15,099 Posts
Current setup actually looks the best IMO. Still don't get the whole air ride fad, personally a fan of static cars.
Guess we will no longer be friends :laugh:

Car is looking great OP, but I agree, your last static look seems perfect to me. Only reason I'm going air is b/c I live in a location with too many varying speed hump/bumps.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks awesome. What kind of paint did you use for engine cover?
Umm I will have to look, I know it was a GM color but don't remember what kind of paint it actually was.

Don't get me wrong, I love being static and love where it sits now but I don't drive the car very much. Especially on road trips to see family/friends due to knowing certain areas that I will not be able to make it around. I am from a rural area in Oregon and when we go up there it is always in the truck due to the roads. I want to be able to use the car more and not have to drive this....

16mpg vs 40mpg, kind of a no brainer.

Guess we will no longer be friends :laugh:

Car is looking great OP, but I agree, your last static look seems perfect to me. Only reason I'm going air is b/c I live in a location with too many varying speed hump/bumps.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This weekend we did some test fitting, we did some rough measurements and framed out a false floor with 2x6's to get an idea of how it would go together. Incase anyone was wondering its 34" by 28.5" without removing anything but the top cover.

We also offset the ends for an extra 1.5" so I could see how it would look to be able to hide the tank completely. To me it looked like ****, with the cover on it sat flush with the bottom of the hatch plastic. So now its to Plan B, the tank will be visible but only a little bit, similar to this setup I found on Airsociety.

This will let me bring the floor down 1.5 inches atleast, maybe 2. I have the money to get this kit ordered but waiting for a couple emails back from some vendors, specifically ORT since everyone recommended them but Andrew has yet to get back to me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
^^^ Thats quite dangerous in a rear end accident. Consider drilling some relief holes down the center of the 2x4's that way they shatter rather than impale you. MDF is a better option as well, lighter, reduces sound, and won't impale you.

·
Registered
15,099 Posts
^^^ Thats quite dangerous in a rear end accident. Consider drilling some relief holes down the center of the 2x4's that way they shatter rather than impale you. MDF is a better option as well, lighter, reduces sound, and won't impale you.
It's ok. It will only impale rear passengers ..

I kid you know :beer:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's ok. It will only impale rear passengers ..

I kid you know :beer:
Rear passengers? back seat is for people I don't like anyways

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only joking :beer:

That was just for mock up, I am going to redo it in MDF and 1x6's.

On a side note, I just got off the phone with Andrew @ ORT and the kit is ordered. We also talked some politics among sorts. Glad to do business with him and can not wait to get my kit!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts