VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Am i on crack, or was i robbed???

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  ATO 
#1 ·
ok, normally, I'm not one to b!tch, but I needed to take my wheels off to paint my calipers, and lo-and-behold, NO TIRE IRON!!! Do MKIV's come WITH a tire iron that will help you take the lugnuts out of your wheels, or is this something you have to buy extra??? (of course, I went and bought one, but I wanna know- did my last service lead to the theft of my tire iron??)
Side note- anyone know what to do about bolts that are corroded (or look like it) in the "screw hole" (yes, technical term) in your rims?? It took me a half hour to get a dam tire off (no, i'm not a wuss- i had 3 buddies try it too, and the dam lugnuts were stuck/corroded in the holes!!!) any solutions?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (Apocrates)

it might depend on your 99, my 01.5 had one about a foot and a half long. i had to stand on the f'n tire iron with one foot and jump repeatedly on each lug till they broke loose.
took me about half an hour to put on the spare. a long pvc pipe would have helped.

#7 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (prana)

Yes, you can spray WD-40 onto the bolts and inside the lugs before you put them back on and it will keep them from corroding together, there is also some crap you can buy at auto stores that works really well-it's like some gel stuff-not sure what it's called.
Apocrates, you have been ripped. Your tool kit that comes with your car (black foam block that fits inside your spare tire) should have an aluminum colored tire iron in it with a seperate bit key for the wheel lock.

#8 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (CaptainWonderful)

quote:[HR][/HR]there is also some crap you can buy at auto stores that works really well-it's like some gel stuff-not sure what it's called.[HR][/HR]​
Anti-seize http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (ROCKnRLR)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . spoken like a true cleric . . . WD40? Blech . . . antisieze is the true stuff . . . the silver wonder of the millenium.
It is to threaded holes like duct tape is for everything else . . .
I use it on any part that I remove. You have to be careful when using it because it is a son-of-a-gun to remove from any surface such as clothing or concrete.

#10 ·

I certainly hope you are not on crack.
Were you robbed?
Was the tool there before?
If YES, then you was robbed
If NO, then you was robbed
I like an 18 inch breaker bar with a 17mm socket
I keep a can of 3in1 oil in my tool box, before I install the lug bolts, run a bit of oil on the threads - never had a problem with corrosion.
HTH
fat biker

#11 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (spookygeek)

"WV = West Virginia
VW = Volkswagen
Coincidence?
I hope not."

That's West "By God" Virginia thank you very much!
It's where all the dyslexic VW owners hang out.

And to keep on topic - yes, my car had the tire iron described above.

[Modified by rfernatt, 9:14 AM 6-5-2002]

#12 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (rfernatt)

quote:[HR][/HR]"WV = West Virginia
VW = Volkswagen
Coincidence?
I hope not."

And to keep on topic - yes, my car had the tire iron described above.
[Modified by rfernatt, 9:14 AM 6-5-2002][HR][/HR]​
and I thought I was on crack! haha this guy is just nuts!
ok, so Anti-seize is the stuff then, right? I'll pick some up this weekend, and try that... will it get rid of current corrosion on the lugnuts? How bout on the inside of the "screw holes" for the lugnuts- can i put some in there to (toothbrush or the like)?

Thanks again guys, this is good info! oh, and yah, i think i was ripped!

#13 ·
Re: Am i on crack, or was i robbed??? (rfernatt)

quote:[HR][/HR]"WV = West Virginia
VW = Volkswagen
Coincidence?
I hope not."

[HR][/HR]​
Not to mention we have the best twisties in WV too

#17 ·

ANTI SEIZE in tube or bottle, place on threads and then TORQUE it to 81-89lbs.. do not use wd-40 b/c you can accidentally spray some on your disc brake rotors and cause heat spots on them, which eventually leads to poor braking or failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.