VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to vent for a moment;

I feel as though lots of people don't take the Golf R or even the Gti seriously.
This includes car buffs and reviewers.
If the Golf R wore an Audi or BMW badge, more people would comment on how "fast" or "bad ass" it is (like the GLA45). Many people instead comment on how utilitarian, practical, and "quick" it is.
A stock R is on par with many sports cars, and a tuned R is on par with many supercars in terms of performance and even build quality.

I drive a Stage 2 MKV Gti and am planning on buying the new R.
My MKV outperforms most cars on the road, yet the comments I receive most often are: how "cute" the car is, how it must be "so good on gas", and if I "fit in it".
My neighbor drives an old stock Audi A3 wagon. The other day he mentioned to me how fast his car is. I told him he should come for a ride in my MKV and see what a tune can do for him. His response; "really, you think your Golf is faster than my Audi".

I guess thats one of the beauties of the R. Understated and respected by the true enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One of the things that draws consumers to the R is that it specifically lacks the conspicuous badass image. It's intentionally a sleeper.
So much this. But yes, it does irk me that people routinely ask me why I spent $50k CAD (all-in) on a Golf, as if I had made some sort of horrible decision. Although oddly enough these are the same people who think spending $10k CAD more for a base 328i is a great idea. Oh well, its fine, they aren't driving it, you are, and it matters a whole hell of a lot more that YOU appreciate the car than they do.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't know any one who met me and my .:R and did not take the .:R serious afterwards :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's because it doesn't say Type R on the back. haha

I'm more concerned if I'm happy with the car than what others think. It's like modding. Not everybody will like what you do.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hatches and wagons are not well received in the US, regardless of the badge. Hell, you could roll up in an E63 AMG wagon and people would still snicker at it; the fact that the commercial had a yoga-pant-wearing soccer mom told you what the US thinks of wagons.

I am champing at the bit for a RS4 Avant, but it is unlikely to land in the US.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know any one who met me and my .:R and did not take the .:R serious afterwards :D
Amen to this. Response I got from my boss who drives a 335is was "I didn't expect it to jump out like that". He fully expected to walk away from me, but the little engine that could said "no way!" I didn't walk away from him by any means, but he expected an easy kill, not an upset.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Don't get what you're saying. It's really highly reviewed.

As for the impressions of other people, I don't really care what non-car-people think of cars.
He's talking about general public perception. People see it as a Golf, even some car people will balk at you for spending "so much" on a Golf when you could've had "xyz car they're fanboying" (not pointing fingers, but usually muscle car and Honda people).

But even in reviews, all the reviewers either had neutral things to say about its nondescript looks or used it as a point of (very) minor criticism.

But you're absolutely right, who cares about the people who can't appreciate this awesome have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too machine, its your money, not theirs.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
As for the impressions of other people, I don't really care what non-car-people think of cars.
Agreed. And car people want to talk about this car. I was at a PCA autocross and the guy next to me in a brand new GT3 was fascinated by my car. A bunch of people came over to talk to me about the car when I was at Laguna Seca over Memorial Day. Same deal when I was up at Thunderhill with the Audi club earlier in May.

People who don't care about cars don't know what a Golf R is. And I am completely cool with that.

·
Registered
959 Posts

I feel as though lots of people don't take the Golf R or even the Gti seriously.
If the Golf R wore an Audi or BMW badge, more people would comment on how "fast" or "bad ass" it is (like the GLA45). Many people instead comment on how utilitarian, practical, and "quick" it is.
A stock R is on par with many sports cars, and a tuned R is on par with many supercars in terms of performance and even build quality.

My MKV outperforms most cars on the road, yet the comments I receive most often are: how "cute" the car is, how it must be "so good on gas", and if I "fit in it".
My neighbor drives an old stock Audi A3 wagon. The other day he mentioned to me how fast his car is. I told him he should come for a ride in my MKV and see what a tune can do for him. His response; "really, you think your Golf is faster than my Audi".

I guess thats one of the beauties of the R. Understated and respected by the true enthusiasts.
That's the nature of the beast to be fair. It's probably the best platform VW has made in quite some time but many car enthusiasts won't realize that for a few years until it goes to show what it's capable of.

On the flip side I see too many VW enthusiasts with superiority complexes in some sense. They think there Golf or GTI is much better than it really is. Just because tuned and FBO it can make ~400hp and scratch off 11-second quarter mile doesn't make it super car territory...far from it actually. It's still a 5 door hatch, that has a cute image, and younger crowd that feels the need to prove themselves, and that image is proven time and time again. It's sleeper look and ability to surprise more expensive cars is a bit gratifying in my opinion.

Now to be honest I think a lot of people buy this car because frankly they don't care about the looks. Odds are if you can afford a 40k Golf you can theoretically own a 45k S3 or S4. Take 40k and you could buy a used Vette, E92 M3, 997 911, Cayman S, etc. ALL offer as much or more performance and have substantially better body lines. But far less practicality and far less usable on a day to day basis. Nobody will ever win the argument of why and how they spent 40K a on car. It's all semantics and it will never change. Fact is the Mk7R is one hell of a car and it will eventually speak for itself. Reason why I just finalized a deposit on a 2016!

·
Premium Member
35,022 Posts
who cares as long as you like the car, and it does what you want.

also, it's so damn plain - it's practically a sleeper.

advantage: burns.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't let the opinions of uninformed people bother me, perfect example is my wife's boss, drives a V6 challenger because "he would rather drive a car that LOOKS fast"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts

I'm not entirely sure where your expectations lie to be honest. Do you really expect the average consumer to have any inclination as to what a Golf R or GTI is? Do you really expect the .:R or GTI's modest and extremely understated looks to exude aggressiveness & performance above practicality? And on another note, I've read plenty of reviews of both the GTI & .:R and I do not get the impression that they don't take the car seriously, at all. Would Motor Trend have voted the ENTIRE Golf lineup "Motor Trend Car of the Year" if they didn't take it seriously? A review of any model of the Golf lineup is always going to tie everything that that model offers into an all encompassing point about how the car is, and always will be a "jack of all trades, master of none". Nobody, for instance, is going to review a Golf R and just talk about how fast it can go around a track or how brutal the acceleration feels in the same way that they would review say.... the new Lamborghini Aventador SV.

On a related note, I was at a stop-light a few weeks ago with my windows open when suddenly a mid-90s Mustang convertible pulled up with two youngish kids in it. They looked over at me and asked "Hey, is that the new GTI?!", at which point I casually glanced over and stated "Nah, its an .:R...". Then the light turned green and I took off in a flash of AWD, Turbo 4-Cyl fury :cool:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think I spotted at least 3 other S4 owners who are very interested.

We all got older and listened to the wives, made a great compromise
with the best ever 6MT AWD sedan.

Now it is time to go back to our roots, and what better time than now,
I will test drive the R 6MT or even a German Focus RS.

Finally the 0-60 times on the R line are on par with the uber-sedans.

One thing I will totally hate is 90 degree turbo lag, the Eaton supercharger
is the Audi is exempt of this predicament.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.