VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time that i've wanted to give american brands a chance, this is what stopped me.

The Germans and Japanese have figured it out, I rented a lowly optioned Golf, came with heated seats.
Owned two civics.. both with cloth seats, EX-T and Si, standard with heated seats.

Base STI? heated seats. Lowly optioned Ascent? Also heated seats! Even base German cars can be opted out with heated seats only (not a whole heated package).

American brands:
Oh you want heated seats?! You gotta get the Rubicon Texas Ranch XLT 1776 SuperDutyTurboPlus edition and then you can opt it out with the HeatedPackage for only $2,998.99!

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,266 Posts
My Bolt is a low trim LT with cloth seats and it has heated seats AND steering wheel. The heated seats and wheel were a standalone option so they could be had on any trim level of Bolt.

·
Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
20,178 Posts
Yea, its annoying. My SE Hybrid, which is a mid-level trim with nav, doesn't have heated seats. A car, with a large electric battery, doesn't have heated seats...

·
Registered
22,394 Posts
Buick has been an off offender for awhile. Regal (non-GS) & Encore both only offer heated seats on the upper trim level.

Ford was pretty good with the euro-inspired Fiesta/Focus. Heated seats were optional on even basic cloth trims but dealers didn't always stock this spec.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
they have it figured out quite well. Typically you pay for it as a stand alone option or its bundle in an option package.with 15 other things you may or may not want. They are just making you pay to get it.

·
Registered
2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T 5-speed manual
9,693 Posts
It's all about upselling. Take a popular option and make it part of a higher trim level or expensive package.

I remember back in the '90s when if you wanted to get anti-lock brakes on the Nissan Sentra, you also had to get alloy wheels and a sunroof.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Owned two civics.. both with cloth seats, EX-T and Si, standard with heated seats.

Base STI? heated seats.
Uhh, all of these are high level trims.

My Bolt is a low trim LT with cloth seats and it has heated seats AND steering wheel. The heated seats and wheel were a standalone option so they could be had on any trim level of Bolt.
That's because it's electric. There's no free waste heat from the ICE. It's more efficient to heat the driver rather than the whole cabin with electrics.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uhh, all of these are high level trims.

That's because it's electric. There's no free waste heat from the ICE. It's more efficient to heat the driver rather than the whole cabin with electrics.
They're mid level.

Civic go.. LX, EX, EX-T, EX-L, Si, Touring, Type-R

Both the EX-T and Si cost me $20,500 brand new.. they're mid level at best.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
They also havent figured that people buy manual transmissions because of performance and not price. They would be better offering them on higher end models verses base ones.
A lot of that is the transmission parts bin. If they don’t have a manual in the parts bin that can handle the higher output motor, they won’t spend the money to develop a new one. That said, a few manufacturers do it for no good reason.

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
20,008 Posts
Large areas of the US are hot year round, so that might have something to do with it.
California, Texas, and Florida are the largest states for new car sales in the US. All 3 are typically very hot.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
Large areas of the US are hot year round, so that might have something to do with it.
California, Texas, and Florida are the largest states for new car sales in the US. All 3 are typically very hot.
Yeah. They should provide ventilated seats on all models and then heated options on higher trims. If only we could have actual cooled seats. I want to feel like I am sitting on a block of ice in the nude.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,266 Posts
The point is, it's American, it's a base trim level, and it has heated seats/steering wheel available as a base level option. No need to get the top trim level or other options to get it. It's a counterpoint to the OP's stance that they DON'T do that.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The base model? Not the Limited.

No sunroof, base stereo, no push button start or keyless, manual seat adjustments; still comes with heated seats.
OK, your point not that there is an imprezzzzzza or WRX, but a stripped out version of an STi still comes with heated seats. :thumbup: got it

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If we lived in Los Angeles I'm sure my wife would still find plenty of opportunities to use her heated seats! :D

·
Banned
642 Posts
I think the real problem is just the entire business model.

If we got rid of the laws that protect dealership unions and allow them to lobby government, and allowed all manufacturers to just bypass them for direct sales, it would not only reduce costs but would enable a order specific build model, where just like at a Subway restaurant they could simply check a big LCD screen above your vehicle as its traveling down the line and know what options to install on it.

That way people like me that prefer peasant class don't have inflated prices because they are optioned super high, and people can order exactly what they think they do and don't need. :thumbup:

Then they could still have a few "Ford's Favorites" or whatever preoptioned ones to pick from that they keep in stock for people who can't wait a couple weeks for their car to be built.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.