VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why is electrification losing momentum? What's your excuse for not buying an EV?

• Duh, because EVs are too dang expensive!

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • Duh, because dealerships don't have any EV/PHE/HEV/ICE in their stock!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Duh, 300 miles EV range is still not good enough for me

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Duh, I don't have hours and days to charge EVs

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Duh, I ain't got any libertard charging stations near here boondocks!

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Duh, Electrification will never happen. Americans are addicted to ICE. Which country you from?

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Duh, high gas prices aren't here to stay. Don't panic and keep yer V8, fellas!

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Well, I have another reason why (tell us)...

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Hey everyone, Uber Wagon is a hypocrite. He bragged about buying a V6-turbo in TCL recently.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Ban Uber.

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hey Uber, I already did my part and have PHEV/EV in my garage.

Votes: 17 10.1%
961 - 980 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
19,372 Posts
Ideally, each freeway rest area would have a row of chargers. The charging area would be constructed in a manner that it would be easier/modular in design to add more chargers as demand dictates. With that said we will likely replace my car with an EV first and would probably only have charge outside of my house once or twice per year (at the most). My wife's vehicle will still be ICE or hybrid for awhile - we do a lot of driving for travel hockey.

·
Registered
47,965 Posts
It's just cars and I'll always talk with you (y)

It's not that serious.

Straight up, here's my deal on that charging at home argument.

If you or anyone else believes that the majority of EV owners will charge at home, Elon and our government are saying otherwise and are trying hard as hell to put chargers everywhere. Who is right?
See, this is why everyone thinks you're being an ass. There are more than two variables in this situation. Way more.

I would never need anything but the plug in my garage because my car is a commuter. I don't even care about range over roughly 100 miles, because that's so much more than I'll ever use. Any gassing up is less convenient for my personal use case and I think about that every damn time I'm getting gas freezing my ass of in January or sweating in August.

If I wanted an EV for my wife the variables would change significantly, and chargers away from home for occasional use would be one of those variables. It would be used about once every month or two, so it's not as inconvenient as gassing up every week like you're trying to make it out to be. Others? They'll have different use cases still, and some will need outside charging on a regular basis, and a smaller subset will need closer to 100% outside charging.

This isn't binary. It isn't even close.

·
Registered
50,352 Posts
Would you rather:

1. Spend 5-10 minutes at a gas station filling gas, 1-2 times per week; or
2. Spend 30 minutes charging your car once or twice a year, and the rest of the time just charge at home overnight?
Almost 2-1/2 years and I still haven't needed to charge my Bolt away from my home. I haven't taken a trip over 200 miles with it. But if I did, I could trade the 5-10 minutes of weekly/monthly gas station time in for an hour of DC charging time. Perhaps just stay at a hotel with free level 2 charging or do some shopping at a group of stores that also has free level 2 charging.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Apartment residents will probably get to the the point where they will separate themselves from vehicle ownership. Too much of a hassle and many older buildings will never have chargers installed especially in cities with older buildings

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
8,292 Posts
and I think about that every damn time I'm getting gas freezing my ass of in January or sweating in August.
mmm.

anyway, honestly, I can't wait for this to just be mandated, people bitch about it for 5 years and then just get used to it and stfu about EVs already. They're the future of the developped world whether the United States' population likes it or not. f*ken deal with it.

we're consumers.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
what are we mandating here?

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
mmm.

anyway, honestly, I can't wait for this to just be mandated, people bitch about it for 5 years and then just get used to it and stfu about EVs already. They're the future of the developped world whether the United States' population likes it or not. f*ken deal with it.

we're consumers.
Mandating EVs would have to be mandated, as the title says, people are willing to pay for the high gas prices and the care about the environment be damned.

But that's not going to happen here, the public push back for a mandate to EVs would be immense. You really don't want to force it, it wouldn't end as you believe it would. It would turn the narrative into a more negative direction for EVs than they already face and you don't want that.

Consumers drive demand and left with consumers we would continue buying a mix of EVs, hybrids and gas, with gas vehicles and hybrids being the majority. And there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
mmm.

we're consumers.
oh fer goodness sake. Just like that mandate.? No matter what the cost to the individual consumer?

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
mandating EV's? I thought the thread was about switching voluntarily
You're reading his frustration, but I'm sure we could find many things he doesn't the government forcing him to do. The fact that the majority of people say they care about the environment but really don't let it change their buying habits.

Mandating is a wrong headed approach. You automatically rally people against your ideology, starting off by taking the decision away.

EVs will be a part of a mix, these guys have to accept that EVs will have to compete on the same metrics gas and hybrids do. Not by force, but by product, value, demand.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Take your mandate...................and shove it
Now, now, easy tiger, he's a good guy. I get his sentiment too. He's coming from a good place.

A mandate would kill the drive EVs are on. They're already seen as a political football, a mandate would magnify that. The majority would push back against that mandate and therefore EVs, he doesn't want that.

Though conversely, there's a lot of money to be made off of selling tshirts with your slogan, "take your mandate and shove it" 😆

·
Premium Member
90 jetta coupe, 91 cabby, 81 caddy, 86 vanagon, mk1 tt, mk4 jetta, b5 s4
19 Posts
the charging infrastructure is not there for traveling. great for an around town or short trips. the taycan is a pretty sweet car though, for an ev

·
Registered
50,352 Posts

California is the largest auto market in the United States and the 10th largest in the world. In addition, 15 other states — including New York, Massachusetts and North Carolina — have previously followed California’s moves regarding tailpipe emissions and may adopt similar proposals.

961 - 980 of 1310 Posts